Gay Scouts

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Gay Scouts

Postby mrfish » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:44 am

Boy Scouts of America to officially lift ban on gay scout leaders
What's the world coming to? Why don't they just officially change the charter to reflect their new purpose? Instead of an organization dedicated to building the character of young people, it looks like it's turning into some kind of gay dating service!
:wtf:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Gay Scouts

Postby mrfish » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:46 am

Boy Scouts expected to end ban on gay scout leaders
More on this gay scouting crap. Hasn't all this LGBT stuff gone far enough? People have got to snap out of this anything goes mentality!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:09 am

Boy Scouts End Anti-Gay Policy
The policy still allows local troops to discriminate against gays and gay scouts have been allowed for some time now. Cenk thinks he's funny when he makes fun of Webelos (a rank in scouting) because he thinks it sounds like "We Blows" (as in the sex act to "blow" someone).
:roll:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:27 am

shadylady: Most often local leaders are fathers of members of the scout troop and so I don't see a national policy lifting a ban against gays as likely to have much if any impact at the scout troop level. It seems like a big deal is being made over nothing. I think that most scouts would be uncomfortable if an openly gay troop showed up at a scout jamboree, but there probably aren't going to be that many openly gay troops to begin with and so it might make a funny thing to include in a movie, but mostly likely it won't be something encountered in real life.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:23 am

Family Guy: Scoutmaster Abuse News Conference
This is just one of those topics that comedians can't resist!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:11 am

cactuspete: A movie about a gay scout troop might be pretty funny, especially if the leader was an accomplished comedian and the movie included a homophobic leader played by someone like Will Ferrell. It could be almost like a remake of Talladega Nights only in a totally different situation. It might be fun to throw some Brokeback Mtn references into the story too. There's so much potential in a movie like this! LOL
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby desertrat » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:27 am

CrustyOldFart: That does sound like a potentially funny movie idea, but the reality of the situation is that BSA would never authorize such a movie and even if the movie makers came up with an alternate name for the organization in the movie BSA would still fight the release of such a movie since they'd say they were the obvious target of the spoof. On top of that there'd be all sorts of other groups lined up to claim that they'd somehow been bashed. The movie would be so politically incorrect that it would never get funded in the first place, but I agree that it would be hilarious if it were done right.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:11 pm

cactuspete wrote:shadylady: Most often local leaders are fathers of members of the scout troop and so I don't see a national policy lifting a ban against gays as likely to have much if any impact at the scout troop level. It seems like a big deal is being made over nothing. I think that most scouts would be uncomfortable if an openly gay troop showed up at a scout jamboree, but there probably aren't going to be that many openly gay troops to begin with and so it might make a funny thing to include in a movie, but mostly likely it won't be something encountered in real life.

I don't think today's kids would have as much of an issue with a flaming scout noadays as in past times. he'd be the "1" in the 1000 and one ways to start a fire. Seriously thought times have changed and with all the teaching of diversity.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CoolChick » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:15 am

Gay Boy Scout Threatened with Being Outing by Troop Members
This is pretty funny. Although it's incredibly unrealistic to think that a kid would "come out" to his friends in the middle of a crowded restaurant (in the middle of Texas, no less), this little presentation is fun to watch.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:31 am

Hilarious Boy Scouts Survey About Gays
It was a couple years ago that the Boy Scouts organization decided to admit gay scouts, but gay men as leaders wasn't allowed at that point from what I understand. It's hard for me to understand why it matters whether or not someone is gay. If the Boy Scouts is a good organization, then shouldn't it be confident in its ability to facilitate the improvement of all boys regardless of their race, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, or parents' credit rating (socio-economic status)?
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to News and Issues