Trona Pinnacles

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Trona Pinnacles

Postby tronagirl » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:13 am

ergot: I skipped around through the video and it looks like the band has money to do stuff, but I doubt that they make the money selling their music or tickets to their shows. In fact, I'm sure they pay to be able to have places to play and that admission to their shows is free. I can't imagine anyone paying. It seems more like someone has money to spend and just wants to promote their mediocre band. They aren't bad, but they ain't all that great either.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby dzrtdwg » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:34 am

The musicianship was competent, but unimpressive. The production was high quality, but the material was mediocre. At one point the guitarist is playing a double neck guitar, but the solo he is playing is so utterly unimpressive from both a melodic and skill perspective that it almost seems that all the work that went into making the video was a vain effort to prop up a nothing band. Vocals are not much more than annoying and lyrics are insipid. After over two weeks the video was fewer than 200,000 views, but I'm sure it would not have even gotten 2000 views if not for a massive promotional campaign. I could be wrong, but from every angle I can think of: THIS BAND SUCKS!
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby pdm » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:04 am

dzrtdwg: So, I did a little research on the band and I'd say that you're more or less right. There are a couple articles about the band on websites called "Hypebeast" and "Jambands" both of which sound like small, independent, low-budget publications. Also on WikiPedia there's some info. It turns out that the band is led by a guy who has a day job doing graphic design and that music is just his hobby. Apparently he pours a lot of money into his hobby. The guy is also a hardcore soy boy. Not only is he a vegetarian, but he also changed his last name from Bundick to Bear to match a shortened version of wife's last name which is Beardsley. I'll give the guy credit for being committed to his hobby and pouring all his extra money into promoting the band, but it's pretty clear that the actual audience for the band is small and consists mostly of soy boys and feminists who like there "men" to be totally emasculated.
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby camel » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Lady Gaga - Stupid Love (Official Music Video)
This is pathetic, but somehow it has 22 million views. It looks like it was a green screen project with lots of extra junk thrown in. Not at all impressive.
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:37 am

camel: That is pretty bad. It doesn't even look like they were really there. Which I suppose is a good thing. The whole place would need a good disinfecting otherwise!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BallaratBob » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:33 am

With very few exceptions, most video projects featuring the Trona Pinnacles are lame. Lady Gaga has the distinction of taking lameness to extremes never dreamed of before!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby shotgunmary » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:17 am

BallaratBob: So true! It's like a contest to see who can make the lamest video at the Trona Pinnacles. Maybe the BLM should stop issuing permits and just ban cameras at Pinnacles entirely! While they are at it they should ban drones, parties, camping, etc. Just close access at night and charge an entrance fee during the day.
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:23 am

Some folks call those videos art, freedom of speech and poor taste. Who is the judge?
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shotgunmary » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:17 am

Who is the judge? Maybe we can get Judge Judy on the case. She probably knows the difference between art and plain trash! The last thing the world needs is another cheesy video shot at the Trona Pinnacles!!!
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby cloud » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:56 am

shotgunmary: I estimate that at least five videos shot at the Trona Pinnacles are uploaded to YouTube each week. Very few of them are worth watching, but they just keep coming!
cloud
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to Hiking and Exploring