Briggs Cabin

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Briggs Cabin

Postby shadylady » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:43 am

I talked to some people who drove up to Briggs and they said that the switchbacks are really bad with big ruts and that sort of thing. The road isn't actually washed out anywhere along the way, but it's really rough, but in no way impassable. They said that they had heard that it was worse than it actually was, but that it's common for people to make false claims about the road to the Briggs Cabin due to its popularity.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Death Valley Pleasant Canyon/ South Park 4x4 Jeep Trip with Velocity Clip
The road seems to be in worse shape than I recall it being.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby sandman » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:21 am

News I heard is that the BLM is working on the road above the cabin and a bridge will no longer be required. The work is scheduled for completion sometime during the first half of December. This will make it possible to drive the full loop up Pleasant Canyon and down South Park or vice versa in a regular vehicle. Currently the bridge is strong enough for quads and motorbikes, but not jeeps and trucks. Although this is great news I'm still a little steamed about all the roads that have been closed during the last few years and this repair seems like a small gain compared to the huge loss we've experienced thanks to numbskull bureaucrats!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby BoraxBill » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:42 am

sandman: No doubt that we've lost a lot of good roads in this area and there seems to be some kind of conspiracy to limit access to areas which people have been able to get to for decades. Although the road improvement effort being made by the BLM is a good thing, it's a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the miles and miles of perfectly good roads which have been closed in this area.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby jeepnut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:39 am

So with increased access I'm predicting something bad for Briggs Canyon. Not trying to be a pessimist or anything, but humans being humans, they'll find a way to mess things out. So, either there will be a fight between groups of people wanting to spend the night at the cabin or the cabin will catch fire and burn to the ground. I hope my prediction is not correct, but sooner or later one or the other situation is bound to occur.
jeepnut
Greenhorn

Postby BallaratBob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:32 am

jeepnut: Eventually the cabin will be gone, but hopefully it will last several more decades before it's destroyed. There's always the outside chance that it could be rebuilt if it burns down, but that's unlikely. As for your speculation about skirmishes, that kind of thing is possible, but generally speaking most back country travelers are pretty courteous and so I don't expect anything newsworthy to occur of that nature.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby ergot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:35 pm

BallaratBob wrote:jeepnut: Eventually the cabin will be gone, but hopefully it will last several more decades before it's destroyed. There's always the outside chance that it could be rebuilt if it burns down, but that's unlikely. As for your speculation about skirmishes, that kind of thing is possible, but generally speaking most back country travelers are pretty courteous and so I don't expect anything newsworthy to occur of that nature.

Yep, most are courteous, decent people, but it's always the few jerks who ruin things for the rest of us!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:47 am

ergot, BallaratBob, jeepnut: There are way too many jerks in the world for their not to be skirmishes! I've heard a few stories of confrontations at various cabins in the area. The best solution is to simply not allow anyone to camp in the darn cabins. They are sites of interest that should be open to all at any time, not first come first served places to spend the night. In fact, there should be a no camping within 200 yards rule applied to cabins. Can you imagine the disappointment someone would feel if they traveled a great distance to visit a cabin and then weren't allowed to look inside because some asshole was spending the night? I don't blame someone in that situation for getting a bit feisty!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:33 am

CrustyOldFart wrote:ergot, BallaratBob, jeepnut: There are way too many jerks in the world for their not to be skirmishes! I've heard a few stories of confrontations at various cabins in the area. The best solution is to simply not allow anyone to camp in the darn cabins. They are sites of interest that should be open to all at any time, not first come first served places to spend the night. In fact, there should be a no camping within 200 yards rule applied to cabins. Can you imagine the disappointment someone would feel if they traveled a great distance to visit a cabin and then weren't allowed to look inside because some asshole was spending the night? I don't blame someone in that situation for getting a bit feisty!

Nope,disagree. Leave it the way it is. First come first serve has worked for years and no need need to change.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby camel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:17 am

Just heard about a story where some guy paid off some other people to vacate the cabin. I'm pretty sure it was the Briggs Cabin he was talking about. They were going to stay for a couple days, but the guy paid them one hundred bucks to leave. Apparently there was a bunch of people who were hoping to stay in the cabin who were supposed to show up later that afternoon. I know a lot of people would have laughed at a hundred bucks, but to others that's nothing to laugh at. Then again, squatting on the cabin on Thursdays, might get you a monetary offer on Friday. Not a bad way to make a few extra bucks!
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to Hiking and Exploring