Geoglyphs

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Geoglyphs

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:42 am

surfsteve wrote:I drove by the geoglyph yesterday I was talking about in the previous post. It did not look like Lincoln. Perhaps because of recently familiarizing myself with pictures of him while reading about the confederate/rebel flag. But it definitely looked like the side profile of a face of someone with a big nose, bushy eyebrows and lots of facial hair. I think I'll just call it the face from now on.

I just remembered another one. I'm not sure exactly where it is but it's also located in poison canyon and looks like the finger. It's somewhere on the right hand side of the road if you are coming from Ridgecrest. I think it's just as you are coming in. It's a group of rocks that looks like a hand folded down except for the middle finger. You can even see finger nails on the folded part of the hand. I jokingly called it "flip off rock" as I was pointing it out to one of my friends one time.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:38 am

Kazakhstan Geoglyphs Getting Explored by NASA
These are some interesting geoglyphs. One of the hosts seems fixated on the idea that aliens are behind these constructions!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:29 am

desertrat: I think people nowadays have aliens on the brain, but back then religious superstitions were a big deal. A reasonable hypothesis was that the people were trying to communicate with whatever deity they happened to believe in. There are plenty of other possibilities, but the alien thing gets old after awhile, but who knows?
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 am

I think your idea has fewer holes in it then some of the ones I hear on TV or read on Huffington. I think we today also underestimate the intelligence of some of the people back in the day. I not saying they are as intelligent in the same way we are today (and that alone may be debatable) but I think there were some around back in the Bronze Age or earlier with high IQ’s. They were limited by resources and Tec knowledge at the time.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:47 pm

Blythe Intaglios: Giant Geoglyphs in the California Desert
These are supposed to be the best Geoglyphs in North America and they're in the California desert!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Hiking and Exploring