Geoglyphs

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Geoglyphs

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:12 am

Aerial Images Reveal Mysterious 'Big Circles' in Middle East
This is interesting! Must have been some kind of ancient art contest to see who could draw the biggest circle! Judging the winner would have been an enormous challenge!
:thumb:
Huge stone circles discovered by air in the Middle East have been imaged with high resolution, revealing their age and other intriguing details. Here's a look at the "Big Circles," which have puzzled scientists for decades.

LINK: http://www.livescience.com/48529-aerial-images-reveal-mysterious-big-circles.html
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:21 am

It's probably the case that Google updates their satellite view more often now than was the case ten years ago, but I recall that when the Moron Church was removed that it showed up on Google for over a year before they finally updated the satellite view of Pioneer Point. Does anyone know how often they update nowadays?
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CoolChick » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:26 am

mrfish: That's right I recall checking out google and seeing the satellite view of Pioneer Point that showed the Mormon Church there even though it was long gone. I thought that was pretty funny. Another thing that's fun is to check out the house of someone you know and see what cars are parked there or what's different in the picture from what it's like now. My guess is that google doesn't update any more often than once every six months.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:35 am

How Often Does Google Maps Get Updated?
According to this article, it's every two weeks, but that it can be delayed due to factors such as cloud cover. My experience tells me that this is wrong. Also if you look at the zoomed in view of Trona you see a copyright date. I just checked it and it says 2014 on Trona and 2014 was over 24 days ago and so I'm guessing that Google updates satellite view every month or two at best.
Whether you have an Android phone, an iPhone, or you’re looking at Google Maps on your computer, you’ve surely experienced a time when you know a particular road on your route has changed since the last map update. If you’re using Google Maps Navigation in the car to get somewhere, you know this experience to be particularly frustrating.

LINK: http://www.zagg.com/community/blog/how-often-does-google-maps-get-updated/
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CoolChick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:56 am

If you want to see some weird stuff go to weirdgoogleearth.com. They have all sorts of categories of weirdness. You can find geoglyphs under human creations. The site is fun to poke around and explore. All sorts of strange categories to choose from!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:19 am

The satellite shots of Pioneer Point are at least two and probably four months old and here's how I know. The deciduous trees shown all have leaves! The trees would have started dropping their leaves sometime around the middle of November and there's no sign of leaf loss in the images. It could be that Pioneer Point gets updated less often than other areas, but it's fair to say that there's almost certainly a three month lag between updates.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:39 am

Previously I posted on January 27, 2015 and Google has not updated the satellite images of Pioneer Point since then. That was two months ago, so that makes somewhere between four and six months since the last update. I read somewhere that it was every month or two at most. Apparently that's just not true and it looks like updates occur no more often than once every six months and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not more like once a year at best!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:57 am

Man uses lawn mower to create massive American flag
Lawn art. If it becomes a popular hobby it might help boost lawn care product sales!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:56 pm

I've made a few crop circles with my weed eater over the years.

Exactly one mile past fish rocks, coming from Trona is a geoglyph of Abraham Lincoln off to your right but it is only visible if you are going towards Ridgecrest. It doesn't look exactly like Lincoln but rather a cross between Lincoln and a cave man. As you are approaching it the first thing you notice is a big nose sticking out near the top of the ridge. As you drive a little closer the beard and face, eye and heavy eyebrows develop; then just before you get to it, it disappears. I been wanting to stop and take a picture of it ever since I discovered it but it's kind of a dangerous place to stop and I'm almost always driving alone. To this day I never have. Would love to see a picture of it online or hear from some of you if you've ever seen it.

There is also a black rock that looks just like an owl in the mountains near the water tower behind Pioneer point but you have to be standing in the right place and the sun has to be just right in order to see it.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:25 am

I drove by the geoglyph yesterday I was talking about in the previous post. It did not look like Lincoln. Perhaps because of recently familiarizing myself with pictures of him while reading about the confederate/rebel flag. But it definitely looked like the side profile of a face of someone with a big nose, bushy eyebrows and lots of facial hair. I think I'll just call it the face from now on.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Hiking and Exploring