Donkey Trails

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Donkey Trails

Postby blackturtle.us » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:06 pm

WET FORK WATER CANYON
This is easily the wettest canyon on the Panamint Valley side of the Argus Range. Without a doubt the longest running stream in any canyon. The hike was a ten-mile lollypop loop with 2260 feet gain/loss.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:41 am

blackturtle.us: I'm going to beat BallaratBob this time. 2260 feet? That's STEEP AS FUCK!!! Actually it appears to be almost flat through the wash, but then it looks like you take off into steeper terrain. I've driven by that canyon on the highway many times, but I've never ventured off on foot. Sounds like an interesting area and hiking like that has to be excellent exercise!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:21 am

shadylady: LOL Yes, that hike has parts that qualify as STEEP AS FUCK. Just a quick look at the contour lines makes that much clear. I explored that area a bit back a few years ago before the BLM closed it down. That road heading off to the northwest on the map goes back pretty deep and almost gets you to Shepherd Canyon. Lots of history there!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:56 am

SLIMS PEAK
Not exactly a donkey trail, although there was a short section along the ridge that might qualify. This was a short hike of only six miles, but it featured a total of 3100 feet of elevation gain. The steepest section climbed 800 feet in a half mile. That section was basically a scramble up a steep rocky ridge with sections of loose scree.
MORE PICS: http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/PLEASANT/index.html
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby BallaratBob » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:11 pm

That's a hike I did a couple times when I was younger only we drove up to the saddle. The way up to the ridge was steep as fuck, but we saved ourselves a lot of steep hiking by driving to the saddle. July is not the month for that hike, but it's not like you started hiking on the valley floor. The cabin is at around 5000 feet if I recall correctly and I'm sure the peak is over 7000 feet. Great views all over the place up there!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby blackturtle.us » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Wild Horses
Instead of donkey trails, I followed some horse trails today. Kind of near Homewood Canyon...
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Horse Trails

Postby wildrose » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:33 am

blackturtle.us: I know there's an area on the base called Wild Horse Mesa, but that's pretty deep into the base and a bit north of Homewood Canyon. The horses must have been out doing a little exploring of the area to have gotten down your way!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Wild Horses Run Away
blackturtle.us says that this was somewhere in the Argus Wilderness. I'd like to know where, providing that it wasn't too much of a hike.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:52 am

wildrose: The petroglyphs are a pretty good clue as to the location. There are a few places in the Coso Wilderness, Argus Wilderness, and the Panamints where this could have been. It would be my expectation that blackturtle.us will not disclose the exact location. Most hikers are sensitive about revealing petroglyph sites due to the ever present threat of people who steal or vandalize artifacts.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildrose » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:17 am

Them Thar Hills
Yet another blackturtleshow video featuring some of our four-legged friends.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Hiking and Exploring