RV Life

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: RV Life

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:01 am

VW Bug Gooseneck Trailer FOUND. Forgotten Volkswagen Camper. 1 of a kind VW accessory.
This is too cute! I love the way the trailer swivels around the roof mount.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:05 am

VW Bug Gooseneck Trailer FOUND. PART 2.
Here's one all fixed up and they show all its features in great detail!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Fascinating videos! I don't see why those trailers would be limited to VW's and wouldn't work on any compact car. I've carried as much as 60 2x4's on the roof racks of my old Geo Metro. As far as that trailer being mass produced: it looks to be obviously home made to me. Speaking of mass producing. It looks like a liability as a potential for lawsuits. One tiny slip up while attaching it and that thing will come down and total out the roof of your car. Perhaps instead of jacks, a “V” bracket could fold down and expand from the overhang all the way to the ground and half of it fold out and attach to the main body to secure the trailer from falling on top of the car while attaching it. It could also be attached to the existing frame with pins to further strengthen it. You can bet if I ever saw one of those in a junk yard that I would stop in and make an offer for it!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:30 pm

I lived in an old Mazda 626 that I converted, for 2 summers and toured both coastlines as well as the Columbia Gorge, chasing the wind and waves and is how I earned the name Surfsteve.

My conversion was a lot simpler than any of the videos I would expect to find. Also mine was a sedan and not a hatch back, making a bit more of a challenge. I removed the entire back seat to make a single compartment out of wood, hinges and carpet. I fixed my trunk to open from the inside and slept feet forward, head to the back, with the trunk open when the weather was nice. At a moments notice such as sudden rain or someone approaching I could close it. I used 2 liter bottles for water and sponge baths and kept everything in stackable laundry baskets that I kept in the back while driving. I stacked them in the front seats when I wanted to sleep in the back. I kept my food and camp stoves in the laundry basket directly behind me where I could simply open my door at a rest stop, reach back and cook while sitting in the drivers seat. When I wanted to camp I just unfolded a tarp, using a laundry basket on each corner to hold it down which kept my stuff really handy and put my sleeping bag on top of. I never used a tent, even though I carried one, because it was much nicer to sleep in the car if the weather was bad or if there were too many bugs. I strapped all my boards, masts and sails to the roof racks on the top of my car.

Tour Toyota Prius Custom Car Camper Conversion
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby rainbow » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:17 am

Everybody's Talkin' - Nilsson (With lyrics on screen)
FAVORITE LYRICS OF RVers:
I'm going where the sun keeps shining
Through the pouring rain
Going where the weather suits my clothes

Banking off of the northeast winds
Sailing on a summer breeze
And skipping over the ocean like a stone

rainbow
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby shadylady » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:56 am

With the price of gas going up, I wonder if that free-wheelin' RV spirit has been dampened a little bit.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dilbert » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:33 am

shadylady: Free wheelin' RV spirit? Not so much. There are people with money to spare who own nice RVs and there are those short on change who are constantly attempting to keep their RVs in good repair. Either way, free wheelin' isn't really what it's all about, but I agree that the price of gas is putting a slight crimp in the lifestyle at least for some.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Previous

Return to Hiking and Exploring