Local Weather

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Local News & Events

Postby blackturtle.us » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:22 pm

September Rain 2013
This video clip shows a little bit of the storm that hit late Sunday (September 08, 2013). The intensity of this storm was comparable to that of the storm that hit in July that damaged roads throughout Inyo County. Hopefully we don't wind up with even more washed out roads!
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:39 pm

blackturtle.us wrote:September Rain 2013
This video clip shows a little bit of the storm that hit late Sunday (September 08, 2013). The intensity of this storm was comparable to that of the storm that hit in July that damaged roads throughout Inyo County. Hopefully we don't wind up with even more washed out roads!

That there's what I'd call a gully washer! Grab yer surfboards! It's time to head out to some dry washes to catch a flash flood down to the middle of the valley! Cowabunga, surf's up!!!
:cactus:
Tarnations! Too late! Maybe next time!
:laugh:
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:16 am

The dirt road by my house looks like a stream bed this morning. On a brighter note all the trails should be washed clean for biking.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Local Weather

Postby shadylady » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:54 am

A friend of mine knows a guy who always goes out after a storm prospecting for gold. He walks up washes looking for black sand. He says it's a sign that a gold deposit is nearby (presumably up the canyon). So far he hasn't struck it rich, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time...
:roll2:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:22 am

Looks like the weather is pretty moderate for the next week. Not much hope of a white Christmas around here! That's just fine with me though. I prefer uneventful weather for the most part and look forward to moderate temperatures and not much wind for the next several days!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:56 am

Drivers stranded in California snowstorm
Up to a foot of snow fell in the Lake Arrowhead area and the snow level got down to about 1000 feet. It looks like Cajon Pass stayed open, but some of the mountain roads were impassable unless drivers were properly equipped.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:13 am

So far I've avoided starting my cooler, but it looks like I won't be able to hold out much longer. Been opening the windows at night to let in the cool air and closing up everything tight during the day. It's worked so far, but it won't be long!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:33 am

The heat is on! I put off getting the cooler up and running for as long as possible, but even at that I only lasted two weeks after my last post. At this point I've used it almost everyday during the last week and it looks like I'll be using it daily from now until September! So far it looks like it could be a humid summer. Not thrilled at all about that prospect!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:28 am

Anyone predicting snow on Christmas? I looked at the weather forecast and it doesn't look like it will be cold enough although there is some precipitation expected on Christmas. A white Christmas would be nice.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:23 am

I don't know about snow on the valley floor, but I'd say that there's a good chance that the valley will be rimmed with plenty of the white stuff. A quick trip up to the Panamints might be possible if the roads aren't blocked and there's always Walker's Pass.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Local News