Death Valley News

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Death Valley News

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:33 pm

UPDATE: Marijuana Farm Found At Death Valley National Park
It doesn't make sense to put so much effort into something that will be quickly discovered. The entire area around here gets visited by people one way or the other and obviously, "grow sites decimate vegetation around springs, poison wildlife, and are dangerous for the public."
In Death Valley, rangers last week raided a pot growing operation with thousands of plants that were irrigated with an extensive hose system pulling water from a spring in Hanaupah Canyon. The operation was stumbled upon by some hikers who thought three men installing the watering system were working on a park project.

LINK: https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2018/07/update-marijuana-farm-found-death-valley-national-park
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildbill » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 am

California ghost town sells for $1.4 million
This site isn't actually within DVNP boundaries, but it's not too far from the western edge.

A little over a month after a 19th century ghost town in California called Cerro Gordo went on sale, Brent Underwood bought it for $1.4 million, real estate agent Jake Rasmuson said. The asking price for Cerro Gordo is $925,000, according to a property listing.

LINK: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/ghost-town-sold-cerro-gordo/index.html
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:08 am

Rogers Peak Multi-Use Instrumentation and Communication Facility
New telecom equipment to be installed between Death Valley and Panamint Valley. Will it make a difference to travelers? Who knows?
The summit of Rogers Peak is 9,980 feet, and is the only non-wilderness high point in the park. Rogers Peak is located between Telescope Peak and Mahogany Flat Campground in the Panamint Mountains. Rogers Peak has been used as communications and instrumentation site by various government agencies since the late 1950s. There used to be a privately-owned analog signal cellular site. Existing infrastructure at the site consists of two telecommunication towers (up to 66 feet tall), three buildings, two large ground-mounted solar panel arrays, concrete pads, propane tanks, and an unpaved graded road.

LINK: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectID=74087
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:27 am

From what I've heard it sounds like Bad Water has flooded and the result is a lake that's ten miles long in the middle of Death Valley. I'm not sure if anyone has kayaked across the lake yet, but someone usually does that when this happens.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:48 am

Over the weekend a man died while rappelling in DVNP. He was trying to make it down an almost 400 foot cliff in what is sometimes called Bottomless Pit Canyon which is south of Titus Canyon. The man's climbing partner used an emergency satellite device to signal for help. A helicopter from China Lake dealt with the extraction.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:37 am

Rappelling has never interested me. It seems like an awful lot of bother to cover a very small amount of distance. I'd much rather hike and although there are some canyons with sides too steep for me to visit, there's plenty of territory for my two legs to cover and so I have never really be tempted to take up rope climbing!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby blackturtle.us » Sun May 12, 2019 8:27 am

Biological Assessment Panamint Valley Mineral Exploration, Survey Conducted for Battery Minerals, Inyo County, California
This might be good news to some and bad news to others. Included is a map of the proposed drilling locations. In case you haven't heard, there is the possibility of lithium mining operations coming to Panamint Valley in the not too distant future.
https://eplanning.blm.gov/epl-front-office/projects/nepa/120541/168871/205522/Appendix_C_Biological_Assessment_Panamint_508.pdf
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby JanuaryJones » Mon May 13, 2019 6:17 am

LITHIUM MINING: I'm all for it as long as it creates jobs and doesn't mess up the environment. With all the environmental regs it's not likely that an approved project could be anything worse than an eyesore, but if it doesn't bring in jobs then it's not worth doing. Also if it cuts off access to anything then I'm against it.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby BoraxBill » Mon May 13, 2019 7:38 am

LITHIUM: Makes sense that lithium would be an important mineral with the ever increasing need for batteries. I wonder how much of the process would be automated and if the company would be required to pay royalties to local schools. Would the money go to Lone Pine or Trona?
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby drdesert » Thu May 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Proposed Lithium Mine in Panamint Valley
Would you like to look down from Telescope Peak and see something like this?
https://friendsoftheinyo.org/action-alert-lithium-mine-in-panamint-valley/
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Local News