Gas Prices

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Gas Prices

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:58 am

California Gas Prices Hit Average of $4, Highest in the State Since 2014 :roll2:
It sounds like it's just a temporary increase spurred on by a couple of temporary factors. Nothing to get all worried about. Not like $5/gallon is likely anytime soon.
On the positive side: one expert predicts that gas prices will spike in the next week before gradually decreasing.

https://ktla.com/2019/04/17/california-gas-prices-hit-average-of-4-highest-in-the-state-since-2014/
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BoraxBill » Thu May 02, 2019 7:44 am

The situation in Venezuela has pushed gas prices up a bit and if things heat up too much down there we could wind up with a big surge. I'm against interfering in the affairs of a foreign country and I'm against an increase in gas prices. Nuff said!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Thu May 02, 2019 7:50 am

Agree, it seems like Cuba, China, and Russia are trying to bait us to sticking our nose in. It is a Western Hemisphere problem yes, but a South America problem first. Let the those countries try first. More reason for a wall.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby hungrybill » Fri May 03, 2019 7:29 am

From what I hear an embargo deal involving Iran is also a factor that could cause a huge increase in gas prices all of a sudden. Trump will need to be very careful. His re-election depends on his ability to keep the economy under control. Five dollar gas would not help his chances any!
hungrybill
Greenhorn

Postby recluse » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:16 am

Saudi Arabia slashing oil output after drone strikes
Saudi Arabia produces ten percent of the world's oil. If they stay offline for long, gas prices will go way up!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby BoraxBill » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:14 am

For most people a slight increase in the cost of gas won't have too much effect. If it goes on for too long, it could be inflationary, but this sounds like it will be brief and so I wouldn't expect much out of it, but you never know!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrfish » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:49 am

Hopefully Iran doesn't try anything stupid. I'd hate to see gas prices skyrocket as a result of a disruption to production in the Middle East. I'm sure there will be a slight spike one way or the other, but it could be longterm if Iran goes crazy, but they've probably embarrassed themselves enough by shooting down a passenger plane. Total incompetent idiots!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:26 am

Gas prices sure have dropped. I saw a gallon of regular at $3.09 a couple days ago. I've heard talk that it might drop to under two dollars in some states. Here in California that's unlikely due to all the tax we pay for gas, but elsewhere the prices could get lower than they've been for decades.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:44 am

sandman: With gas prices so low people with RVs must be itching to hit the road. Of course, most pay campsites are closed, but there are lots of places in the middle of nowhere to camp if you know where you're headed. Panamint Valley has lots of nice spots as does half of Nevada and Arizona and New Mexico, etc.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Oil price drop takes towns from boom to bust
You'd think that low gas prices would be good news, but low gas prices might not actually be a good thing and it may mean economic devastation in months to come.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News