ATV/ORV Accidents

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: ORV Accidents

Postby shotgunmary » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 am

Mother mourns loss of son killed on dirt bike in front of home
Hate to say it, but it serves this mom right. She was stupid to get the dirt bike for her son in the first place. Eventually, she did learn her lesson, but she learned it the hard way.
Dylan's mom says she got him the motor bike as an early birthday gift in April. Since the accident, she says she's had regrets about getting him the bike to begin with and more regrets about letting him use it on a road like that. "It turned out I actually bought him something that cost him his life," she said. "I just want everybody to know kids don't need to be on them, especially not on these roads. I just wish I could go back and change it."

The only person I feel bad for is the person who was driving the vehicle that hit the stupid kid on the dirt bike. The parents of the kid should be forced to pay damages to the driver for putting him through such a traumatic experience.
https://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Boy-killed-in-Floyd-County-crash-511398892.html
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby KissMyTail » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:15 am

ShotgunMary wrote:The only person I feel bad for is the person who was driving the vehicle that hit the stupid kid on the dirt bike. The parents of the kid should be forced to pay damages to the driver for putting him through such a traumatic experience.

You got that right and I'd add that they should also cough up money to pay for the repair of the truck. It's not cheap to get dents out of the hood of a truck!
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby dilbert » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:44 am

KissMyTail and ShotgunMary: Good call! Any parent allowing their kid to ride around on a dirt bike should be charged with child endangerment, no questions asked. Why do we even have seat belt laws if we're going to look the other way when it comes to something like dirt bikes which are one hundred times more dangerous?!!
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby ergot » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:43 am

There's a large off-road event at Wagon Wheel going on today. If you want to see how people with sub-90 IQs spend their time, head on out! Don't expect a full list of injuries to be published. Unless there is an actual death, there won't be much press coverage. Press coverage is bad for events like this since intelligent and sane people see this kind of an event as ridiculously stupid!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:21 am

ATV-related deaths surpass 15,000, with kids making up more than 20%: report
The stats are pretty clear and anyone who fails to recognize the reality of the situation is either stupid or in denial.
All-terrain vehicle-related deaths involving kids younger than 16 accounted for more than 1 in 5 of the 15,000-plus ATV-related deaths recorded between 1982 and 2017 in the United States, according to a recent Consumer Product Safety Commission report. The commission’s 2017 Annual Report of ATV-Related Deaths and Injuries report states that, of the 15,250 total ATV-related fatalities recorded over the three-and-a-half decades, 3,315 (21.7%) were children 15 and younger. Of those, 1,450 (43.7%, and 9.5% of the overall total) were younger than 12.

Laws need to be written which protect people from their own stupidity. More importantly, children need to be protected from the stupidity of irresponsible adults who allow them to operate ATVs.
“Even if your county or town law permits ATVs to be driven on paved public roads, we urge you to take caution and keep your ATVs off these roads,” Ann Marie Buerkle, acting chair of CPSC, said in a press release. “Off-road vehicles are not designed to be driven on paved surfaces, and collisions with cars and other on-road vehicles can be deadly for ATV operators.”

LINK: https://www.safetyandhealthmagazine.com/articles/18257-atv-related-deaths-surpass-15000-with-kids-making-up-more-than-20-report
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:44 am

Driving down Birch Street last week a person on a quad (could have been a teenager or a young adult) came out of nowhere and crossed right in front of me, probably at a speed somewhere over 40 mph. A friend said she had a similar experience within a few days of mine on Cedar Street involving a shirtless teenager on a motorcycle. Yet another friend said she saw a young person operating a quad in a reckless manner near the intersection right above the elementary school less than two weeks ago. It appears that local law enforcement has become negligent once again when it comes to this kind of thing. Perhaps they should increase their efforts in this area before another injury or possibly even death occurs as a result of unsupervised kids operating off-road vehicles on public streets.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:14 am

Kids doing stupid things on quads and motorcycles on the streets of Pioneer Point and Trona has always been a problem and the sheriffs don't do diddly about it. It'll take a death to get their attention, I'm afraid. The number of close calls over the years probably numbers in the dozens and sooner or later it won't just be a close call. Just saying....
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:31 am

Two teens crushed to death when ATV flips near Blythe, CHP says
There is one known cure for stupid....
Two teenage boys were crushed to death and two teenage girls were injured when an all-terrain vehicle overturned in an open desert area west of Blythe, California Highway Patrol officials said Monday.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/traffic/2019/09/16/two-teens-crushed-death-when-atv-flips-near-blythe/2343954001/
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby KissMyTail » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:12 am

The more quickly natural selection weeds out the stupid the better it'll be for all of us. You gotta figure that the average IQ of people who do crazy stunts on ATVs out in the desert is well under 90 and that parents who allow their kids to do that kind of thing are even dumber. The sooner they kill themselves off the better as far as I'm concerned!
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:39 am

LOL That's kinda harsh, but it's hard to disagree considering some of the stupid things I've witnessed with my own eyes.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News