TJUSD Board Meeting - January 11, 2018

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Book Censorship

Postby shadylady » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:39 am

mrgreen: School board members who are in favor of any form of censorship are truly enemies of education. Such people might imagine themselves to be protectors of virtue, but they actually undermine the learning process by deciding what ideas students should be allowed to read about. Censorship is the enemy of knowledge, intelligence, and learning. Thank goodness the woman had the courage to stand up and publicly call out the school board member for even suggesting that a book should be banned.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - January 11, 2018

Postby wildrose » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Local schools battling bullying
I'm sure that bullying does occur, but in all my years of teaching I never saw a clear cut case of bullying. There were lots of cases where kids had ongoing squabbles, but there was never a victim-perpetrator dynamic. It was always two peers in conflict. There were a few times in which parents claimed that it was their little darling who was the victim of bullying, but the facts never supported their interpretation of the situation.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Bullying

Postby shadylady » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:19 am

wildrose: I've heard a lot about so-called bullying, but I think you're right that usually both peers contribute to the animosity between them. Seldom is there a true victim of bullying. That being said, lawyers are good at twisting things around and can make one person appear to be a victim even if in reality they were actually the perpetrator.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm

High-tech security system helps schools keep criminals off campus
This seems like overkill to me. The cost far exceeds the benefits. It's a great way for a company to make money off of people's fears.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Charter school in Sacramento closes with little warning to parents
Might as well face it, 90% of charter schools are just poorly managed scams.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Local News