TJUSD Board Meeting: August 09, 2018

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting: August 09, 2018

Postby tronagirl » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:42 am

California bill: Only milk or water served with kids' meals
This makes a lot of sense at school, but I think the idea is that restaurants should not encourage kids through economic incentives to drink soda. In other words, if it's cheaper to drink soda than water or milk, then an economic incentive is in place to encourage unhealthy drink selection. People should not sacrifice health in order to save money. I think that's the intent here.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:16 pm

MojaveMike wrote:
mrgreen wrote:
cactuspete wrote:In fact, often leaders are the most useless people in an organization. They are usually overpaid and under producing.

You got that right. Most people in leadership positions are basically useless. They keep the right people happy and that's about all they're good for. Emotional Intelligence? What a crock of shit!!!

My experience is that people in leadership roles who have great people skills are often ineffective. What is needed are people who can keep track of all the things that need to get done. It's about organization and not allowing anything to fall through the cracks. People with really good people skills are usually lazy and flatter their way through life. Real intelligence is much more important than people skills. It's not even close.

According to Jordan Peterson the best predictor of success in any work-related or school-related setting is conscientiousness. IQ is the second best predictor of success. The set of skills which are incorrectly labeled "emotional intelligence" are pretty much worthless when it comes to predicting success since, as already pointed out, they often become an end unto themselves and can actually stand in the way of getting anything done. The Cult of Emotional Expression is alluring to many people and it often is the case that people who focus on "emotional intelligence" and related issues wind up becoming so wrapped up in that sort of thing that it becomes an obsession or maybe even something more akin to an addiction. It's not surprising that 12-step self-help groups (which focus so much on getting in touch with emotions) are popular among recovering drug addicts.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:46 am

wildrose: So, I watched a few Jordan Peterson videos this morning and have a few observations to make in reaction to what I saw. First of all, it turns out that there are two ways of being conscientious: orderliness and industriousness. Being organized and hard wording obviously correlate well to success. That just seems inherently obvious. The problem is that it's not easy to teach conscientiousness. But Jordan Peterson seems to think that a good place to start is with cleaning your room... and then move on to your house... then your yard... then work on your community.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:25 pm

School district in Rosamond makes cuts to recover from $2 million deficit
Too much generosity results in a huge financial problem!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:43 am

Conscientious people can be very judgmental, but conscientious people are very responsible people. When confronted with irresponsible people they often react negatively and understandably so. Good people skills can help conscientious people to be more effective in helping irresponsible people to try harder to pull their weight. That doesn't mean people skills are a universal fix for anything. In fact, the most manipulative people and the most selfish people often have excellent people skills. I'm not a fan of slick people who are good at manipulating people and so I understand the outrage of those who object to the term emotional intelligence. That's definitely not the term I'd use!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:52 am

MojaveMike: What term would you use? LOL Actually I can think of a few choice terms, but I won't get into that other than to say that I agree that people skills aren't all that they're cracked up to be. Not that getting along with people is a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. Just that people skills aren't that difficult and they are pretty far down the list when it comes to the skills needed to get anything important done.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby hand » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:11 pm

Pennsylvania school hires armed officers following online threat
2018 has been a bad year for schools when it comes to gun violence. What's going on with kids today?
Have A Nice Day
hand
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby mrgreen » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:43 pm

CrustyOldFart wrote:MojaveMike: What term would you use? LOL Actually I can think of a few choice terms, but I won't get into that other than to say that I agree that people skills aren't all that they're cracked up to be. Not that getting along with people is a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. Just that people skills aren't that difficult and they are pretty far down the list when it comes to the skills needed to get anything important done.

Unless you're a cult leader. In that case people skills are essential! :poop:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:36 am

Sleeping in School :zzz:
Most of us have probably on at least a few occasions experienced this kind of thing...
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Mural for TRONA highschool! 2018 - @therealnotus
The making of a mural at THS.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Local News