TJUSD Board Meeting - October 11, 2018

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - October 11, 2018

Postby recluse » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:36 pm

The Digital Gap Between Rich and Poor Kids Is Not What We Expected
Affluent parents are drastically restricting screen time. Some not even allowing their children to have digital devices until after middle school. Exclusive private schools are even eliminating computers, iPads, Chromebooks, etc. This is a complete reversal over what has been happening for the last thirty or so years!
It wasn’t long ago that the worry was that rich students would have access to the internet earlier, gaining tech skills and creating a digital divide. Schools ask students to do homework online, while only about two-thirds of people in the U.S. have broadband internet service. But now, as Silicon Valley’s parents increasingly panic over the impact screens have on their children and move toward screen-free lifestyles, worries over a new digital divide are rising. It could happen that the children of poorer and middle-class parents will be raised by screens, while the children of Silicon Valley’s elite will be going back to wooden toys and the luxury of human interaction.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/26/style/digital-divide-screens-schools.html
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:06 am

These Halloween desserts put the "Ooh!" in ooky spooky! | Halloween 2018 | So Yummy
Here are a few great ideas for Halloween parties! There are lots of videos on YouTube with lots of great ideas.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Halloween Parties

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:21 am

tronagirl: Great post! I love all the creative Halloween treats and like you said there's bunches of neat ideas on YouTube. Lots of people consider Halloween the funnest of the Holidays. It really should be a day off from school and work. Maybe the day after should be a holiday too since people like to stay out late and the kids are likely to have a sugar high.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:17 pm

District Wants Parents To Pay Up For Student Absences
Charging parents for unexcused absences is an excellent idea. Taxpayers pay lots of money to provide kids with an education, but irresponsible parents waste that money all the time by pulling kids out of school for trips and other unnecessary activities. The state should seriously consider something like this to discourage unnecessary absences!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:17 am

Those of us who never had kids, but still pay for the education of those with kids feel a bit resentful when educational dollars are wasted. Parents who pull their kids out of school for family trips really are wasting our money. I'm not talking about necessary trips for something like a funeral. I'm talking vacations which should be scheduled for non-school days, not when the price of air travel is cheapest!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sierra_jim » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:24 am

And with ski season just around the corner, you know a lot of parents are going to pull the kids out of school in the middle of the week to avoid crowds on the slopes. That's one of the most common reasons for non-excused absences that I know of. In fact, I know more than a few people who have done that on a regular basis while their kids were still young.
sierra_jim
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby BoraxBill » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:51 am

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea to charge parents for non-excused absences, but let's get real. We all know that parents will just lie and claim that their kids are sick in order to avoid the charge. They might get caught every now and then, especially if a ski cam shows them waiting in a lift line, but for every one caught dozens will get away with it. So, yeah, it's a good idea, but it won't work in reality.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:16 am

Sad! I always thought the schools calling about kids was over concern for the kids. Turns out it's all about money? Shameful! I'm in favor of kids missing a few days of school in order for their parents to be able to afford a ski trip once a year, as long as they make up for the education they missed. I wish my parents had done that for me. It's the ones that have no excuse and do it on a regular basis that I am concerned about and I know a few of those. It sad to find out that all those calls I been hearing about from the school are not out of concern for the kids but concern for the money the school isn't making off them. Seems like our education system in this country is no better than the health care system. I always thought if anything ought to be socialized it should be medicine and nothing else but now I'm rethinking that too. This also makes me suspicious of home schooling. I'll bet it's all about money there too! How does it feel to parents to know that your kids are little more than dollar signs to school administrators?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:12 am

surfsteve: First of all, schools are required to account for each student on a daily basis. It's not a matter if they 'care' or not. Secondly, the education system is more than anything else a reflection of society. Without parental support schools don't do well. Part of supporting schools is making sure your children attend on every day possible.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby whiskeypete » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 am

I agree with surfsteve on this one. Parents should treat kids to family trips that they'll remember the rest of their life and if the best time to go is while school is in session, then so be it. If the kids get behind because they miss school just tell them that there are more important things in life than good grades. Life isn't about always being responsible. It's about having a good time and not being overly worried about what others think.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to Local News