TJUSD Board Meeting - May 09, 2019

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - May 09, 2019

Postby desertrat » Sat May 18, 2019 6:30 am

SAT to include new 'adversity score'
Most people realize that this is a really stupid idea. The thumbs down clicks are at about 400 and the thumbs up are at about 100, so far. Here are a few sample comments left in response to the video:
The IQ of the country slips another 5 points, what could go wrong?

Woah. Can you imagine how many blunts you would have to go through before you come up with these rules?

Children in the USA are 34th in the world in math and 41st in science . BUT, they're #1 in self-esteem and gender identity . Basically, the USA is raising confused, yet confident idiots

this is next level stupid.

Just when you think things cannot get any dumber, they do. This is stupidity at a level that's almost incomprehensible. I'm hoping the thumbs down will illustrate just how furious people are about this. The SAT was created to give a objective standard to judge what level students are at and how well they are prepared for university. This was so that students who didn't go to Andover or Exeter could have an opportunity to compete. Now to introduce this is beyond the pale. I have no words.

Whatever genius pitched this "solution" has been watching too much 'Good Will Hunting' and 'Dangerous Minds'

desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat May 18, 2019 6:57 am

Betsy DeVos makes unscheduled visit to Poway Unified school
This sounds like an interesting school and I don't see any downside to DeVos visiting. It's entirely understandable that she wouldn't announce that she was planning to visit since that's likely to cause an unnecessary disruption, but, as they say, haters gonna hate!
;)
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Sat May 18, 2019 8:28 am

New Hampshire high school cafeteria employee claims she was fired for giving student a free lunch
Since when is a school lunch worth EIGHT DOLLARS?!!!! :wtf:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Wed May 22, 2019 6:12 am

CactusHugger: Eight dollars does seem a little much. And why fire an employee over something like this? Unless maybe she's been directly told not to do this kind of thing in the past and she's ignoring a directive, but even then it's really bad PR to fire someone for doing a good thing.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 am

Nobody but Greg seems to realize that she was giving away something that belonged to someone else. She's no hero. It'd be a totally different story if she was paying for the lunch. I think it would have been better if they fined her, say maybe a hundred dollars as a first offense instead of firing her. A hundred dollars really isn't much considering that she has probably given away a lot more than just the one she got caught. I think the focus should be on why a school lunch costs 8 dollars. That's a good reason to fire a lot of people 'cause they couldn't afford to pay back nearly what they ripped the tax payers off for! I'd be a lot more for paying higher taxes if I knew they weren't going for 8 dollar crappy lunches and 500 dollar hammers!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Wed May 22, 2019 7:44 pm

Teacher yearbook photos create controversy
The usual whining over nothing... Any dipstick who complains about "cultural appropriation" cannot be taken seriously!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: TJUSD BOARD MEETING

Postby shadylady » Fri May 24, 2019 8:27 am

blackturtle.us: Do you know anything about a board meeting that was held on Wednesday? I heard that the discussion was about hiring a third administrator for tiny little TJUSD. There was also something I didn't understand about a fine that would be imposed by the state for employing that many administrators for such a tiny school district. It seems completely irresponsible to waste money on more admins than would be reasonably seen as necessary. Fat salaries and a cushy job is not what tax money is supposed to provide!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu May 30, 2019 4:59 pm

shadylady wrote:blackturtle.us: Do you know anything about a board meeting that was held on Wednesday? I heard that the discussion was about hiring a third administrator for tiny little TJUSD. There was also something I didn't understand about a fine that would be imposed by the state for employing that many administrators for such a tiny school district. It seems completely irresponsible to waste money on more admins than would be reasonably seen as necessary. Fat salaries and a cushy job is not what tax money is supposed to provide!

I'm not aware of a decision on this topic yet. The fine you ask about is $43K per year.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrgreen » Thu May 30, 2019 9:51 pm

Wiz Khalifa: Weed Got Me Through School!
He actually says: WEED HELPED ME GET THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:16 am

Meet the new champions from the Scripps National Spelling Bee
Spelling bees can be kind of fun and this one had a surprise ending.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News