Trona 4th of July Earthquake

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Contaminated Water

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:09 am

Good to go? That's good to hear! Normally I think it takes less than 24 hours but with that huge pipe coming all the way from Ridgecrest and the plant being down I imagine it took a lot longer. I see that they are still digging up and replacing pipes but they look to large in diameter to be water pipes so I imagine they are sewer.

Well yeah, boiling would be the same as making coffee, it would kill most microbes and evaporate chemicals like chlorine; but it does nothing to get out the rest of the toxic chemicals in the water like arsenic, lead or fluoride. In fact boiling concentrates them!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:40 am

Just got an official notice from the water company saying as of yesterday it was determined out water is safe to drink.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:32 am

sandman wrote:I heard that the water was good to go. As for coffee, I have no issue with tap for coffee since the water is more or less boiled. Besides isn't coffee practically a disinfectant? I wouldn't drink straight, unfiltered tap water unless there was no other option available.

That reminds me of a story, but I'll keep it short. A secretary at a place I once worked made coffee that was so nasty that everybody who worked there swore that it would kill anything. And as they say, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!
:stirpot: We also called the coffee she made witch's brew. She wasn't the most good-natured secretary in the history of our planet!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Trona 4th of July Earthquake

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:37 am

I got a text that the Inshape gym in Ridgecrest will be opening on a limited basis on Monday. Apparently the nursery is damaged and they are taking our cycling room over for that purpose till it is repaired. No news about the Family dollar here in Trona. I drove though town and was surprised to find that most of old down town Trona has been red tagged. I had no idea that there was that much damage. Does anybody know anything?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Earthquake Recovery Resourses Thread

Postby wildrose » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:48 am

Ridgecrest and Trona continue path towards recovery nearly one month later
No FEMA funds likely, but the state may help out. :shrug:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Earthquake Recovery Resourses Thread

Postby dzrtdwg » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:53 am

Earthquake relief concert held in Ridgecrest
One person claimed to have gotten motion sickness from aftershocks. That's so stupid, that I can't believe anyone would actually make a claim like that. Possibly some psychosomatic issue, but even at that there's no way that a minimally intelligent person would actually believe something like that. The earthquakes caused substantial damage, but compared to typical disaster situations they were trivial and the aftershocks are perhaps of scientific interest, but nothing to be stressed about. The state should provide financial assistance to those needing to make expensive repairs, but only a pussy would actually claim to be traumatized by the earthquake events experienced in Trona and Ridgecrest.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:48 pm

Fissure Visible in Desert After Earthquakes in Southern California
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:37 pm

Trona Catholics kept the faith as their town declined. Then, two earthquakes shook their ‘gem in the desert’

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ake-damage
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Trona Chimney Demolition
Quite a few people had chimney damage as the result of the July 5th earthquake. This one came down on August 17th.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:18 am

Preparing for disasters
September is National Preparedness Month! :poop:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News