Trona 4th of July Earthquake

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Anyone know anything about Family Dollar?

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:23 am

What's going on with the Family Dollar store? I heard a rumor that it was going to close permanently and have to be demolished. Anyone know if there's any truth to it? We really need that store. I used to drive people there several times a day that don't have cars.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Trona 4th of July Earthquake

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 pm

I continue to be amazed on how much help we've been getting since the earthquakes. I've never seen anything like it. I went through Hurricane Andrew in the 90's and other than neighbors helping each other the only people to knock on my door were Jehovah witnesses claiming we were smitten by god and trying to get me to join their church. Fortunately I was far enough away from the center of the hurricane to only have a bunch of trees fall down and half my roof torn off. Perhaps there was a lot more help available closer in where homes were totally flattened but honestly it was months before most of the wreckage was cleared away and years before most of the homes were rebuilt. I got a feeling that if this had happened in Los Angeles that there wouldn't have been nearly as much help available on a per person basis. We are lucky to have such a strong community and such helpful neighbors from nearby cities!

Thanks!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:17 pm

POSTED 07/12/19 FROM 07/07/19 Trona Update
This is an old update, but it includes a few Trona residents including the longest living person in Trona.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:42 am

Sinkhole to close Trona gas station
This is not good and the biggest worry is that other businesses may be forced to close...
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks for that July 7th video. It's hard to believe how much we've recovered since then, and that it's been less than a week. Water and electric both back on. It seems like most of our concerns are about the structural damage of buildings, the stuff inside and when and if we are going to get our stores reopened.

Our main store, the Family Dollar, still remains closed with no news as of yet as to when or if it is going to reopen. In addition to that the Shell station may close down. I've also heard that the police station and post office suffered structural damage.

Anyone hear anything about the library?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Earthquake Recovery Resourses Thread

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:04 am

I just thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where people could go to to find help recovering from the earthquake. Right now I don't have any information to offer except to go on down to the high school but whatever else I find I will post it here. I think we need a separate place to talk about insurance, repairs and resources sepparate from the news about it.

I have a friend that does drywall repairs. I think I'll ask him if he wants to have me put his number up in case people want to get a hold of him.

I spoke to my insurance agent and asked him about earthquake insurance and he said it wouldn't cost that much and that it would add less than I am paying now to my policy. WTF? I instantly translated that to mean my insurance would double!

The guy that owns the apartments next to me said that FEMA was going to come out and inspect the damages but both my insurance agent and my brother in law who happens to work for an insurance agency said that FEMA has no grants available for businesses that they were aware of. My brother in law said there were low and possibly non interest loans available though them. I also read on the internet that FEMA could pay up to 33K in damages to the average home.

If you guys find anything else out please post it here!

Thanks!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Earthquake Recovery Resourses Thread

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:49 pm

The key phone numbers and webpage:
San Bernardino County: http://www.sbcounty.gov/main/default.aspx
REPORT WATER LEAKS: 760-372-2291 (Boil water order still in effect until further notice. )
TEAM RUBICON: 310-640-8787
Call 310-640-8787 & follow the prompt to get help from Team Rubicon about fixing or rebuilding homes, or email r9info@teamrubiconusa.org. Team Rubicon unites the skills and experiences of military veterans with first responders to rapidly provide relief to communities in need. Visit http://teamrubiconusa.org

San Bernardino County: 1(877) 410-8829
GAS RESTORATION: 1-800-743-5000
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Earthquake Recovery Resourses Thread

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:51 pm

Earthquakes Rattle Trona, Causing Severe Damage Initial Damage Assessment Complete
Also I came across this from SB County Fire on Facebook:
San Bernardino County Fire Damage Assessment Team, with the assistance of County Building & Safety, and Code Enforcement, and CalOES, has completed its damage assessment of the communities of Trona, Argus, Red Mountain, and Windy Acres following the devastating earthquakes that shook the area on July 4th and 5th.

165 properties have been inspected. Inspectors determined the following damage:

Definition
Red-Tagged - not habitable in current conditions, structure has been severely damaged to the degree that that it is too dangerous to inhabit.
Yellow-Tagged - moderately damaged to the degree that its habitability is limited, not suitable for overnight stays,
limited occupancy.

Residential
Red-Tagged:​31
Yellow-Tagged: ​51

Commercial
Red-Tagged:​ 8
Yellow-Tagged:​ 4
Underground Storage Fuel Tanks Red-Tagged: 4

Figures are expected to increase as additional calls for inspections are received and due to the amount of aftershocks plaguing the region. These figures do not include the estimated 180 buildings that are abandoned, collapsed and/or burnt.

A report is being compiled and will be sent to state and federal officials for review. FEMA will ultimately determine if the earthquake damage meets the Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act criteria/threshold for assistance, such as low interest loans.

With aftershocks occurring daily, residents are reminded to continue using caution and evaluate the stability of their homes. If you feel your home has become unsafe, you can call 877-410-8829 (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.) and safety officials will respond and inspect the structure.

San Bernardino County continues to assist Trona residents in its recovery efforts, providing essential resources. A Local Assistance Center (LAC), a one-stop shop providing free supportive services, remains open from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily at Trona High School. Residents can also visit www.sbcounty.gov for additional resources and recovery information.

panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:47 am

Ridgecrest earthquake brings down roof of theater
Another badly damaged business. Hopefully all local businesses make a full and rapid recovery!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Stomach flu

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:13 am

Everyone in my house including my dogs has been sick lately. I am just getting better and was talking to neighbors. They said the same thing has happened to them and everyone they know. The only person that it didn't happen to, boiled all their water including the water they used to wash dishes.

I did not consume any drinking water that was not bottled or boiled but washed my dishes with tap water. It started Saturday night. I was pretty sick Saturday and spent all Sunday in bed. Symptoms included: stomach ache, diarrhea, and aches and pains all over especially in the kidney area. Feeling 90% better this morning.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News