Trona 4th of July Earthquake

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Trona 4th of July Earthquake

Postby cactuspete » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:15 pm

What’s Next: Geologist breaks down earthquake forecast
Another quake above 6 could cause severe damage to buildings weakened by the 7.1 quake. This guy says to expect a few 5s and that there is a 13% chance of a magnitude 6 quake.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 am

Heard on the news this morning about a poor guy who was working on his Jeep held up with cinder blocks that was found passed after Jeep fell on him. Any truth to that?
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Trona Water Company WHAT IS GOING ON?

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:21 am

Sparky of SoCal wrote:
CrustyOldFart wrote:Toilets and coolers go through more water than you'd think! Glad someone is taking care of our water needs. Hopefully the pipes get fixed soon. A battalion of military personnel could probably get the job done in a day or two I would think.

That I think could be a National Guard deal. In that case that would be a Governor thing would it not?

I don't care if the freaking British Navy flies in and saves the day! The sooner the water is restored the better! People are getting tired of filling their toilets by hand and taking sponge baths!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:36 am

Trona Post Office closed due to structural damage
Mail still being delivered, but the building is closed.
The Trona Post Office has been temporarily closed due to earthquake damage to the building structure. Trona postal customers can retrieve their P.O. Box mail and obtain retail services at Ridgecrest Post Office located at 101 E. Coso Avenue, Ridgecrest, CA 93555. All other mail is being delivered. Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Saturday.

https://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/trona-post-office-closed-due-to-structural-damage
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:50 am

Sparky of SoCal wrote:Heard on the news this morning about a poor guy who was working on his Jeep held up with cinder blocks that was found passed after Jeep fell on him. Any truth to that?

According to this article a guy was working on a car in Pahrump and it fell off of the blocks and pinned him to the ground.
Earthquake may be to blame for death of man found pinned under car, Nevada officials say
A 56-year-old man was found dead pinned underneath a vehicle Tuesday in Nevada, and officials say an earthquake may be to blame. The man was last seen at a gas station July 3 and was likely killed while working on his car the following day. This death may be the result of the vehicle falling off the jacks on July 4 during the earthquake. It appeared that the vehicle was jacked up safely and based on tools and the position of the body it is thought he was working on the vehicle when it fell.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/earthquake-likely-blame-death-man-found-pinned-under-car-nevada-n1028071
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

The Water Is Back On!

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:52 am

I just checked a half hour ago and our water is back on. I kind of expected it to be because it dribbled a little bit yesterday. Better safe than sorry; I took a pick up truck load of trash cans over and had them filled with non potable water but didn't unload them. Guess I will have to dump them out. Thinking about returning some of those extra trash cans I bought from Walmart to store the water in...

Judging from the amount of damage done to our water supply from the pipe that comes all the way from Ridgecrest and the amount of crews that I saw working on it I would have to give them an A+ for working on it and getting it restored in record time. ( I heard that the plant is losing a million dollars a day for being shut down and suspect this is the reason).

When it comes to customer service I give them an F- or a zero. They did nothing. They never even answered their phone during business hours or bothered to change their stupid recording that said to call the plant. (Also when I called the plant they had zero news.) The very least they could have done was to change their recording and give an estimated time of how long the water would be down. They did put some tanks in front of the school with a stupid sign on them but not until we already had tons of drinking water and a tank of non potable water across the street that was being filled by the military.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:14 am

On FAKEBOOK I saw a letter posted by some humorless dipstick complaining about a recent comedy skit by Jimmy Kimmel in which he joked around a bit about the recent earthquakes. I know that low IQ emotional types don't understand the concept of comedy and how it provides psychological relief to those with the mental capacity to enjoy humor, but I still strongly object to any suggestion that Kimmel was insensitive or otherwise disrespectful. Kimmel is not my favorite comedian, but he tells a good joke every now and then and so as far as I'm concerned the more laughter the better. And as for dipsticks who feel the need to complain, they should just have their little pity party in private!

CACTUSPETE: I have an image of the letter. If I send it can you post it?
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:17 am

Emergency Earthquake Supplies You Don't Need
This is not the routine that the whiny little crybaby was complaining about, but it is pretty funny!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 am

Jimmy Kimmel on LA Earthquakes
This might be the routine that the whiny little crybaby found offensive. It's actually quite funny, but humorless dipsticks would rather complain than laugh!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:48 am

Here's the letter. The name was crossed out so as not to further embarrass the person who posted it. I'm sure he's already regretting posting the letter and so he's done enough to embarrass himself and we don't need to make things even worse. As they say, once on the internet, it's there forever....
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature