TJUSD Board Meeting - September 12, 2019

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - September 12, 2019

Postby pcslim » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:34 am

It's fairly easy for social media companies to trace the earliest mention of this rumor. That would point to a precise user and/or location as the origin of the post. From there simple interviews could be conducted. Either someone made the threat or someone started the rumor that there was a threat. Either action is a criminal offense.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:42 am

pcslim: Starting a rumor that there might be a school shooting is clearly a crime. After all, what I've heard is that literally half the kids attending the schools in Trona did not show up on Monday. That's a huge loss in ADA. Law enforcement should most definitely get to the bottom of the rumor and find out who started it. Either someone started it as a hoax or someone actually made a threat. Either way we're talking a crime which could and should result in some serious consequences.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby KissMyTail » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:31 pm

12-year-old admits she lied about white classmates cutting off her dreadlocks
:laugh: Did I call this one or what? :laugh:
If you don't know what I'm talking about just go back a few posts and see for yourself!!!!
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby ergot » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:52 pm

recluse wrote:
KissMyTail wrote:Sixth grader: Classmates assaulted me, cut my dreadlocks
Quick post: A couple friends and I just watched this news clip and we all agree that it doesn't seem believable. We agree that it's more likely than not that she's lying.

All it takes to be MORE LIKELY THAN NOT is 51%. I'd say that chances that she's lying are somewhere above 80%, maybe even 90%. I've become increasingly skeptical of stories like these in recent years since so many have turned out to be hoaxes.

:laugh: Great call!!!
I wouldn't be surprised if CNN deletes this video. So here's a quick summary: The girl claimed on camera that three boys attacked her and cut off a few of her dreadlocks. The girl's mother blabbers about how awful it is that the boys did this to her daughter. The mother claims that the boys have been harassing the girl for a long time. The CNN reporter read a statement from the school stating that they are investigating the matter and then mentions that the VP's wife teaches art part-time at the school. [This should have been a red flag since it's an obvious motivation for making false claims.] The CNN reporter goes on to say that the family filed a police report and that the police department is investigating the accusation. The CNN reporter is then shown talking directly to the girl, telling her that she is beautiful and then the girl's mother blabbers on for a bit more. Finally, the CNN reporter explains that the family "forgives" the boys (for something they didn't do) and want the boys to receive punishment and counseling for the act they were falsely accused of.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:42 pm

Yep, even without VP Pence's wife being involved, it was obvious that the story was false. Cutting a girl's dreadlocks? Seriously? Only a retarded halfwit would come up with a story like that. Not sure if the girl concocted the story on her own or if her loving mother helped with the Old South stereotypical plot or what, but it had stupid written all over it. Not surprising that a CNN reporter fell for it hook, line, and sinker!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Re: DREADLOCKS HOAX

Postby twister » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:48 am

KissMyTail: You called it alright, but the rest of us recognized the truth too. It was just a little too obvious. It's amazing how gullible many news reporters can be. The lady in the first video you posted was just way too eager to believe such an obvious lie. Kind of makes you wonder as others have said: HOW COME SO STUPID?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:21 pm

wildrose wrote:pcslim: Starting a rumor that there might be a school shooting is clearly a crime. After all, what I've heard is that literally half the kids attending the schools in Trona did not show up on Monday. That's a huge loss in ADA. Law enforcement should most definitely get to the bottom of the rumor and find out who started it. Either someone started it as a hoax or someone actually made a threat. Either way we're talking a crime which could and should result in some serious consequences.

Here's the problem. If you read the original article carefully you will notice the following phrase which I've enlarged:
cactuspete wrote:No ‘concrete evidence’ in Trona High School shooting threat
So there was a threat, but nobody seems to know who made the threat. That's odd....
Trona High School took precautions Monday morning after receiving information Sunday night about a rumor of a student talking about school shootings, according to an announcement made by Trona High Principal Joseph Wolfe via social media. “As of right now, we are unaware of the identification of the student who may have said this,” Wolfe said in an announcement posted on Trona High School’s Facebook page Monday afternoon. “We identified the student that heard it and that student cannot remember exactly what was said and who said it.”

https://www.ridgecrestca.com/news/20190930/no-concrete-evidence-in-trona-high-school-shooting-threat

Talking ABOUT school shootings is different than threatening to commit a school shooting. If I hear that a couple students are discussing the school shooting phenomenon and mention that to another person, that person might misinterpret what I said and pass that information on in a form which is distorted as a result of poor comprehension skills or some kind of psychological problem. That person might inappropriately "read between the lines" and decide that these students weren't JUST having a discussion about school shootings, but actually plotting such an action. This could also hypothetically happen as the result of a chain of miscommunications between several people and the result could be a rumor which has nothing to do with anything that actually happened. Small towns are notorious for rumors and if the dumbest of the dumb are talking to each other, something dumb is likely to happen and that's how we wind up with wacky rumors which have no basis in reality.

Not saying that this is what happened in this case, just that this is a possibility which could account for a rumor which can't really be blamed on anyone intentionally trying to cause trouble.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrgreen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:48 pm

The Media LOSES THEIR MINDS Over a Joker MEME on 4chan
Here's another theory for you to consider. This meme is a variation on an old joke. Someone may have inserted Trona into the joke and someone else may have not realized that it was just a joke. Brainlets are like that. They have difficulty with non-literal communication. Brainlets also don't know the difference between 4chan and the Dark Web. Big difference there, but few brainlets can figure out how to get onto the Dark Web and so for them 4chan is an incomprehensibly crazy place and so they think they've somehow stumbled upon something dark and sinister when in fact it's just plain vanilla 4chan. Brainlets like the CNN reporter mentioned in this thread also fall for obvious hoaxes such as the Dreadlocks Hoax and there can be no doubt that this world is slowly drowning in a vast ocean of dumbness and stupidity!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: 4chan

Postby desertrat » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:17 am

mrgreen: So, to use your term, brainlets are likely to be appalled by what they see on 4chan and so it's just as well that they are too stupid to figure out how to get onto the Dark Web. But it's fair to say that 4chan is sort of a watered down version of the Dark Web in certain ways. I recommend exploring the Dark Web only for those who are technically savvy and who have a strong sense of curiosity which is much stronger than their tendency to be morally judgmental. Brainlets tend not to be very curious and they tend to be highly judgmental and so brainlets need not apply.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:49 pm

recluse wrote:Yep, even without VP Pence's wife being involved, it was obvious that the story was false. Cutting a girl's dreadlocks? Seriously? Only a retarded halfwit would come up with a story like that. Not sure if the girl concocted the story on her own or if her loving mother helped with the Old South stereotypical plot or what, but it had stupid written all over it. Not surprising that a CNN reporter fell for it hook, line, and sinker!

The irony here is that you calling her a retarded halfwit would be considered bullying, while what she did is just a call for help. How dare you further her plight by calling her a retarded halfwit?!! Even if that is the case, she deserves to be praised for being so brave! After all, she did falsely accuse males of wrongdoing and that's what feminazis want all young females to become better at doing. With a little practice she'll be able to falsely accuse males of wrongdoing more effectively and that will make feminazis everywhere proud of her. And that's not to mention all the victimologists out there who will also praise her as a young woman of color for standing up against the imaginary oppressors!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Local News