TJUSD Board Meeting - January 10, 2020

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - January 10, 2020

Postby drdesert » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:14 am

wildrose: Teachers should not be blamed or shamed for the poor performance of students who don't even try or have very low potential. I don't want to be mean, but some people just don't have what it takes. We can thank social policies going back to the 1960s for the overall drop in IQ which has occurred during the last several decades. When you pay dumb people to have babies and make it economically disadvantageous for smart people to have babies, then you wind up with a lot of dumb babies and not so many smart babies. Continue that trend for several decades and you wind up with the situation we currently find ourselves in.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:38 am

drdesert: As much as I wish you were wrong, it's impossible to deny. Bad social policies starting back in the 1960s are the root of the problem. The radical left (aka, the democrat party) wants to continue on that downward spiral. We need to reverse course and undo all the the damage ASAP. Sacramento is entrenched with the radical left and no change is likely to occur in California anytime soon, but we can start pushing for reform now just the same. If we wait any longer it could be too late.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:29 am

drdesert and MojaveMike: What you both say is very true. The problem is that neither the Republicans or the Democrats have a serious solution that will make even the slightest bit of difference. That's true at both the federal and state level throughout the nation. Democrats want to give money away in a manner which make the problems worse and Republicans want to privatize everything and make their fellow Republicans richer. Neither party is even close to being responsive to the needs of the majority of Americans.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:29 am

Texas high school student told to cut dreadlocks :roll2:
Admittedly the dreadlocks look pretty stupid and the dress code policy pertaining to hair length most definitely is not racist, but it seems like the school should just let it go. It's not worth the fight and it's not that big of a deal. That being said, playing the race card in this case is pathetic!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby defcon » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:36 pm

What does school stand for?
I thought school was closer to seven hours........
defcon
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby pcslim » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:39 am

defcon: Math was my favorite subject. It was anything but mental abuse to humans. Funny video, but a little bit random and I mean random in a bad way.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby defcon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:48 am

pcslim: Yeah I hear ya. I liked math a lot too. But there are plenty of not so smart kids who had difficulty with math. And I think the video was meant to help them feel better and to lighten their load a little bit.
defcon
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:23 am

Not so smart people who have difficulty with math are a huge demographic. If you want to make a successful video on YouTube or TikTok you aim at that group. For that matter people who do poorly at school in general spend a lot of time viewing videos which make them feel better about themselves. Any kind of sorry excuse or half-witted joke which reassures them that school is not all that important is for them like a pacifier is for a baby.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:12 pm

Trona schools, still recovering from July earthquakes, could lose $2.5 million
This is a very clear and well-written article which explains the royalty situation mentioned at recent school board meetings.
TJUSD gets a portion of the millions of dollars in government royalties paid by Searles Valley Minerals for its soda ash production in Trona. But the amount could drop if the U.S. Bureau of Land Management moves forward on a proposal to make it easier for mining companies to request lower royalty rates. The proposal also would give the BLM the ability to approve payment reductions, which today are approved by Congress. It’s unclear if, or when, the change would happen, but school officials worry the rate will drop from 5% to 2% — and potentially cut about $2.5 million from its budget. The district has received between $3.8 million and $4.1 million for the past five years.

https://www.sbsun.com/2020/01/27/trona-schools-still-recovering-from-july-earthquakes-could-lose-2-5-million/
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:38 am

What kind of jerk would hit Trona schools with a massive budget cut while the district is still trying to recover from two major earthquakes? That's the question. For the answer read the article. Incredibly mindless idiots run things in this state!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Local News