TJUSD Board Meeting - February 13, 2020

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - February 13, 2020

Postby wildrose » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:31 am

tronagirl wrote:I suppose it would be possible to have so many drills that hardly anytime got spent on the usual school subjects. Is the point of school to learn stuff or to just have a drill for this and a drill for that all day long?

Back when I first started teaching (which was a long time ago since I've been retired for years now), DRILL AND KILL was a phrase which described the practice of giving students a stack of boring worksheets to complete day after day. The idea was that endless drills killed off any enthusiasm students might have for learning. This new practice of having drills for just about anything and everything might change the meaning of that phrase. Educators need to wake up and realize that they are being manipulated by companies out to make a little money. I've heard of this ALICE training stuff and it's an obvious sham. They take credit for all sorts of things they have nothing to do with and fail to acknowledge cases which contradict their recommendations. Complete con job!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pdm » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:13 am

DRILL AND KILL? That's not exactly a comforting phrase if we're talking about an active shooter drill. Not exactly the results we're looking for!
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby recluse » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:53 pm

Experts Warn Against Viral TikTok Challenge
Wow! This is really, really, really STUPID! Only a person of exceptionally low intelligence would even consider doing this to someone!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Re: STUPID CHALLENGE

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:39 am

recluse: Exceptionally low IQ is correct! But what do you expect after decades of selectively encouraging stupid people to have babies? The average IQ of welfare recipients is about 92. That's only seven points above what is considered mentally impaired. An IQ of 71 or lower is considered mentally retarded and from 71 to 85 is mentally subnormal or marginally retarded depending on what you want to call it. High taxes discourage people with high IQs from producing offspring and so people with low IQs have about three times as many babies as people with high IQs. As a result we have seen a crazy drop in the average IQ here in the USA. If the national average IQ drops too low becoming a shithole nation is almost inevitable unless the best and brightest develop some kind of artificial intelligence automated surveillance system to regulate the behaviors of those with low IQs. Sounds like some kind of futuristic dystopia to me. Not sure if that's what we as a nation really want, but that's where we're heading!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby camel » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:42 pm

Lancaster authorities warn of viral 'Skullbreaker' challenge
Anyone who would actually do this should be removed from society! Even teenagers should be charged as adults and put away for this kind of stupidity!
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby sandman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:28 am

camel: It would be mostly teenagers that would be committing these crimes in the first place, but I agree that kids as young as thirteen should be charged as adults in matters such as this. Keep them locked up until they're at least thirty would be my recommendation.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:42 am

With all this talk about the coronavirus, I wonder what the schools in Trona are doing. It may not have reached the desert yet, but it's not far away. And with California declaring a state of emergency it must be a serious threat. There was something on the news about schools closing in Oregon or Tennessee or both.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:27 am

Tucker reacts to MSNBC's embarrassing math mess up
So maybe journalists aren't terribly good at math, but this is ridiculous! $500 million divided by 327 million comes out to about a $1.50 per person. I didn't even need a calculator for that! If you want an exact number get out the calculator and it comes out to $1.53 rounded to the nearest penny. Hopefully parents use this as an example to motivate their children to pay attention during math class! Not only do you want to avoid obvious errors like this (and the embarrassment of revealing yourself to be a complete dunce), but you want to catch fake facts by being able to do the math for yourself.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:46 am

Some of the comments left in response to MSNBC's embarrassing math mistake are pretty funny:
This is the same liberal math that explains how Dems can offer free healthcare, free college, and $15+\hour minimum wage. Now do you see why Democrooks voted to raid the social security funds?

This is what happens when you preach everyone's special or everyone's a winner

They can’t do simple math but we should believe them about climate change?!

Keep in mind, these are the same people saying "GO BERNIE! FREE HEALTHCARE! FREE COLLEGE! OPEN BOARDERS!" do you guys think these people know how an economy works?

They really don't have a clue how much all this free stuff is going to cost, that's sad

5 out of 3 Americans have trouble with fractions.

Oh so when they've been saying the word is going to end in 12 years
They really mean 12,000,000 years. That makes more sense

Some moron posts something on Twitter and they just regurgitate it without thinking twice if it’s even accurate.

desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:42 pm

mrfish: Regarding the coronavirus, there are cases in Los Angeles and San Diego, but I haven't heard about any locally. At least not yet. Maybe there are and I just haven't heard, but so far I think eastern CA is uninfected. Of course, with people coming through on their way from LA to Mammoth to go skiing, there may be infected people passing through. Hopefully they aren't stopping in Ridgecrest or in Trona.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Previous

Return to Local News