Drought-Tolerant Plants

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Drought-Tolerant Plants

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:11 am

There are lots of highly attractive native plants and plants from other arid climates around the world that could be made available to homeowners to use for landscaping, but I've never seen any for sale. These plants use almost no water and look just fine. I don't understand why there isn't a supply to meet the demand. More nurseries should specialize in plants that are well-adapted to hot dry climates.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:22 am

deathvalleyjake: Nurseries usually stick to the tried and true traditional landscaping plants most of the time. Home Depot is especially poor at getting plants that are appropriate for the desert. There seems to be a disconnect somewhere along the chain of command. They should actively research and promote plants that would do well and make sure that stores are stocked with plants appropriate to the climate zone, but they seem to prefer frustrating their customers whenever possible!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Dought-Tolerant Plants

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:44 am

New plants are starting to show up in local nurseries. With the restrictions on watering that were in place last year it's hard to know what to purchase. Hopefully area nurseries will do a good job of stocking plants that can survive with minimal irrigation!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby camel » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:56 pm

CSUB Adopts Drought-Friendly Landscaping
It might be a good idea to visit the campus to see some of these plants in a landscaped environment.
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby twister » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:58 am

Grow Water, transforming the regions thirsty landscape
Some pretty good ideas that might help save water in a thirsty world. :cactus:
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:19 am

My quest this next month is to plant a few drought-tolerant plants around my yard. I've got a few spots that could use something green in them and I'll probably just check out what Home Depot has to offer, but I may travel a bit if I'm not happy with what they have to offer.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:51 am

panamint_patty: My quest is to just keep the plants I got alive through the summer on as little water as possible. It's a huge challenge and a couple plants should probably be swapped out for less thirsty plants, but I'm a little bit attached! LOL
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Wed May 04, 2016 7:58 pm

See beautiful iris garden in bloom :thumb:
The lady in this video says that irises are drought-tolerant plants. I guess they do alright compared to most garden plants and so they are relatively drought tolerant, but probably not the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the term drought tolerant.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:26 am

tronagirl: Although irises tolerate alkaline soil and they can handle the heat, they do require a fair amount of water. Also they do go semi-dormant during the summer, but they will die without some moisture. So, I'd say they are somewhat drought tolerant, but they do best with some shade and a steady supply of water.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:17 am

The other thing about irises is that they really aren't all that great looking except for the two to four weeks while they are in bloom. The rest of the year even under the best of conditions they are just leaves. The flowers are nice, but they aren't around very long each year.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Desert Gardening Tips