Plant-Based Diet

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Plant-Based Diet

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:27 pm

Which Fruits and Vegetables Boost DNA Repair?
Lemons, persimmons, strawberries, broccoli, celery, and apples get the nod in this video!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Plant-Based Diet

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:31 pm

What’s the “Natural” Human Diet?
Paleolithic diets are not appropriate for humans...
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Boosting the Bioavailability of Curcumin
Curry powder is according to this extremely healthy since it contains both black pepper and curcumin.
DESCRIPTION: Dietary strategies, including the use of black pepper (piperine), can boost blood levels of curcumin from the spice turmeric by up to 2,000%.

panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:05 pm

I saw Wildrose's videos posted by the same guy in the brain health forum. I agree with him to a point. We need lots of fruits and vegetables but I diverge when he goes on about meat being the worst thing in the world for you and think the blame should be put on grains, and processed and refined foods. Though there is some evidence that humans evolved to be vegetarians it fits better that we evolved as omnivores or occasional scavengers. For one, our strong stomach acid is a good indication, though far from proof that we are highly equipped to digest meat and carrion. Grains put a lot of stress on our digestive systems, especially gluten but their effects are multiplied when they are sprayed with roundup as is common practice in the United States to make harvesting easier and allow for greater yields.

It is interesting to note that humans, uniquely among the primates so far considered, appear to have stomach pH values more akin to those of carrion feeders than to those of most carnivores and omnivores. In the absence of good data on the pH of other hominoids, it is difficult to predict when such an acidic environment evolved. Baboons (Papio spp) have been argued to exhibit the most human–like of feeding and foraging strategies in terms of eclectic omnivory, but their stomachs–while considered generally acidic (pH = 3.7)–do not exhibit the extremely low pH seen in modern humans (pH = 1.5) [38]. One explanation for such acidity may be that carrion feeding was more important in humans (and more generally hominin) evolution than currently considered to be the case

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0134116

Oh yeah. Almost forgot to mention to Wildrose that the brain is made up of mostly cholesterol. So are nerves which might explain why vegans have such hateful attitudes towards meat eaters!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:00 am

Dr. Gundry’s The Plant Paradox Is Wrong
Bad advice often comes from people who want to make money selling their new diet and all the products that go with it.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:10 am

A SINGLE MEAL THAT CHANGES SEXUAL PERFORMANCE - 'The Game Changers' Film
The guys who made the film think it may have "historical impact." While that's unlikely, it is true that if resources were not wasted on meat production that many environmental issues would almost disappear within months. It's funny that the big sell will be the impact of a plant-based diet on male sexual vitality. Yes, I'm completely skeptical, but I'm not necessarily a hater.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:31 pm

The Protein Combining Myth
This guy is good. I enjoy the way he goes straight to the hard research.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:33 am

Honestly I've watched dozens of Dr. Gregor's videos long before you guys started posting them on the Trona forum but the more I got into them the more I had to finally dismiss him. It's tempting to call him a quack but he's really not and most of his advise is good, though some of it is bad. The problem is he is someone pushing an agenda. The more I got into him the more I discovered that he was picking studies that agree with his vegan philosophy and dismissing anything that disagreed with it. Some of his videos on how dangerous meat is boarder on ridiculous.

I thought he was maybe someone who was older and kept himself in good shape similar to the way Dr. Berg does but it turns out that he looks old enough to be my father but is actually young enough to be my son. But if you believe him and don't want to look any further then go for it and let me know how it goes. I tend to think of him as the Hilary Clinton of veganism.

I am actually very surprised that he came out and claimed that aloe vera is actually harmful to burns and have to admit it left me scratching my head. Has he gone out on a limb there? To be honest I never got into it that much and have found that honey works pretty good for burns and wounds.

When I googled his name it seems like Dr. Gregor is the vegan's best friend but aside from veganism there isn't much written about his credibility one way or the other. Was only able to find one article and it pretty much epitomized the way I feel about him.

https://www.humanewatch.org/hsus_doc_ex ... s_schlock/
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:04 am

The Ten Riskiest Foods Regulated by the FDA
In checking out the link left by surfsteve I came across this information. I don't think that the fact that leafy greens account for a huge portion of the cases of foodborne-illness outbreaks means that they are not a healthy food, but it does mean that we should inspect them carefully and make sure they're clean before eating them. As for Dr. Gregor's agenda, I partially agree, but within a short four-minute per video format (which I appreciate since I hate long, rambling videos) it makes sense to stick to the most pertinent studies. On top of that, so few YouTube nutritionists cite scientific studies as thoroughly and succinctly as Dr. Gregor. Being thorough and succinct is an art form few master, although admittedly it does lend itself to "pushing" an agenda or focusing on mostly affirmative evidence. However, I've seen several videos where Dr. Gregor has uncovered evidence which refuted claims that would fit nicely within his apparent agenda (if he even really has an agenda other than to uncover truths about nutrition). So, I tend to trust his integrity, although I never trust anyone completely.
LEAFY GREENS: 363 outbreaks involving 13,568 reported cases of illness
EGGS: 352 outbreaks involving 11,163 reported cases of illness
TUNA: 268 outbreaks involving 2341 reported cases of illness
OYSTERS: 132 outbreaks involving 3409 reported cases of illness
POTATOES: 108 outbreaks involving 3659 reported cases of illness
CHEESE: 83 outbreaks involving 2761 reported cases of illness
ICE CREAM: 74 outbreaks involving 2594 reported cases of illness
TOMATOES: 31 outbreaks involving 3292 reported cases of illness
SPROUTS: 31 outbreaks involving 2022 reported cases of illness
BERRIES: 25 outbreaks involving 3397 reported cases of illness

SOURCE: https://cspinet.org/sites/default/files/attachment/cspi_top_10_fda.pdf
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:45 am

Salmonella outbreak linked to pre-cut melon
Did someone mention foodborne-illness outbreaks?
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Desert Gardening Tips