Wild Horses and Donkeys

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Wild Horses and Donkeys

Postby CactusHugger » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:39 am

The Federal Government Is Offering $1,000 if You Adopt a Wild Horse
I guess you could call this a win-win situation. The federal government saves money and the person adopting the horse/donkey saves money. Not sure what it costs per year to take care of a donkey, but $1000 seems like a low estimate when you factor in some kind of corral or pen or fenced off area, food, other gear and supplies, and various miscellaneous items.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pdm » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:41 am

sandman wrote:DONKEYS: They're fun to see, but they are a traffic hazard. I'd be in favor of allowing hunting wild donkeys. They're really tasty when properly BBQed! LOL

The BLM should host a BBQ Donkey Day event. They could slaughter a couple hundred donkeys and then BBQ up a bunch and hold donkey recipe contests, etc. It would be a fantastic fundraiser and it would cull the herd a bit too. Definitely a win-win kind of situation!
:thumb2:
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CactusHugger » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:44 pm

More than 40 wild burros slaughtered in the Southern California desert; reward offered
This is a recent case which occurred along Interstate 15 near the Nevada border, but over a half century ago something similar happened close to Trona:
One killing ground was Homewood Canyon, near Trona, about 240 miles northeast of Los Angeles, where the SPCA officials in 1953 reported a shocking scene: Over an area of 50 acres, they found 50 burro carcasses. Only a few had bullet holes in the head, indicating that most had been left wounded where they fell.

LINK: https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2019-08-23/burros-killed-california-desert-reward-offered
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby recluse » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:54 pm

$10,000 reward offered for arrest in wild burro killings in Mojave Desert
The BLM should do a better job of controlling the populations. Too many donkeys can be a safety hazard along roadways and can devastate vegetation, especially around springs.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby recluse » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:57 pm

Over 40 Wild Burros Illegally Shot To Death In Mojave Desert
This is not quite word for word the same as the previous post, but it's close. Different anchorwoman on a different channel, but just a slight rephrasing of a few lines of information.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:27 am

One solution that has been proposed more than a few times is to allow people to hunt donkeys. They make great chili and the tacos aren't too bad either. Maybe people here in Trona should organize an annual Donkey Hunt and BBQ. It would help keep the donkey population under control and it would be a great event that would attract all sorts of wonderful people! LOL
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby camel » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:07 pm

The Road Hammers - Haulin' Ass
You can call 'em donkeys, burros, jackasses, or just plain asses, but one way or the other sometimes it's necessary to be haulin' ass!
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:11 am

Biden administration program sending horses to slaughter
I'm sure that a small percentage wind up being sent to slaughter, but I think most people who adopt these animals take good care of them. I think this lady is misrepresenting the issue in many ways. There is a small amount of truth in what she says, but she's leaving out a lot more pertinent information which would deflate her argument.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to General Environment and Nature