Road Closures and Conditions

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Road Closures

Postby sierra_jim » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:50 am

Latest Updates on What's Open and What's Closed
This is a pretty comprehensive list of roads and passes and their current status throughout the eastern Sierra as of June 02, 2017:
http://mammothtimes.com/content/latest-updates-whats-open-and-whats-closed
Here's part of the report pertaining to the Lone Pine area:
Near Lone Pine:
Roads open: Foothill Rd., Division Creek Rd., Haiwee Canyon Rd., Mazourka Canyon Rd., Movie Rd., Sage Flat Rd., Onion Valley Rd., Whitney Portal Rd, Horseshoe Meadow Rd. to USFS gate.
Road Closed: Horseshoe Meadow Rd. after the USFS gate.
sierra_jim
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:41 am

sierra_jim: It's interesting to hear about the roads in the Sierras, but I'm still pretty much in a sour mood over the closing of roads in the Panamints. Especially I'm not too happy about Wild Rose Road being closed for so long. I hear that the plan is to EVENTUALLY fix that road, but apparently the Scotty's Castle area is considered to be a priority.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:32 am

panamint_patty: If it's not going to make much money, then it's not going to be a priority. Wildrose Road doesn't generate funds, but Scotty's Castle does. So Wildrose Road will probably be put off indefinitely and possibly it'll never get fixed! It's a perfectly fine 4x4 road as is and it wouldn't take much to just open it back up. Just put a big warning sign up and allow people to use it!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:05 pm

Just heard that Wildrose Road is open. There's supposed to be an announcement on Facebook. A friend said she saw it a couple days ago. Great news!
:talk:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:39 am

I've been up Wildrose Road a few times in the last few weeks and it is great to be able to use that road again. It's too bad it took so long to reopen the road, but at least now the road is open and access to the Charcoal Kilns and Mahogany Flats is quick and easy again.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Road Closures and Conditions

Postby mrfish » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:35 am

You Had One Job: Freeway Sign Points The Way To 'San Bernadino'
One letter missing. Now that everyone knows, I wonder how long it will be before they replace the sign.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:59 am

I misspelled it that way for years. I don't think the sign had anything to do with it but it makes for a good excuse!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Replacement Road Signs

Postby dilbert » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 am

It's more likely that the county will decide to change all the other signs to match the one with the mispelling. At least that would be consistent with the way the county normally runs things! Take 395 for instance. It should have been widened to two lanes from the time it leaves I-15 until it gets to Ridgecrest decades ago. Do the idiots running the county ever do anything about the problem? HELL NO! In fact, they got rid of passing lanes awhile back. Incompetent idiots!
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Re: Rage Over 395

Postby shadylady » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 am

dilbert: Don't even get me started on 395. The idiots in charge should have fixed that problem decades ago. There's no excuse for not widening the entire length of 395 through San Bernardino County to two langes the whole way through. I'm convinced that morons run this county!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:36 pm

You may be insulting morons
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature