Plant Genetics

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Plant Genetics

Postby wildrose » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:49 pm

Onion Genetics
Onions are more genetically complex than humans! Who knew? :thumb:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:51 am

wildrose: Genetic complexity is more of an accident of nature than a sign that an organism is more advanced. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the human genome could be shrunk to about five percent of it's current size without any loss of functionality. Not that we currently have the technology to achieve that feat, but as synthetic biology advancements occur eventually that becomes something that could be done.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Analyzing Encelia molecular phylogeny with the aid of genbank and BLAST
Here's a video from my favorite YouTube channel. Most of the videos this guy does are in the field, but this video is particularly fascinating. The name of the channel is Crime Pays But Botany Doesn't. Some of his videos contain foul language which some people might not like.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 am

Interesting video! I watched a few other videos from that channel and you're right about the cussing. The guy really knows his stuff! And he really gets out there and visits lots of places in search of interesting plants. Apparently he's a botanist by profession, but I wonder if his travels are connected to his job. He was back east a couple weeks ago and his most recent videos are in Nevada. Interesting guy to say the least!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Once an icon, the functionally extinct American chestnut tree could be restored
I had no idea that the American chestnut was even threatened and I had even less knowledge of the important role it played in the history of the eastern USA.
More than a century ago, nearly 4 billion American chestnut trees grew in the eastern U.S., dominating forests from Maine to Florida. Wood logged from the massive trees helped build the country and was used in everything from homes to railroad ties. Its famous chestnuts fed animals and people. Then, about a century ago, disease wiped out virtually all the trees.

panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wabbit » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:37 am

The Chestnut Tree: Bringing Back an American Icon | William Powell
Up until the blight hit, this tree was a major source of food throughout the Appalachian area, possibly the single most important food staple. It's surprising that there is not more attention paid to this tree since it was so central to life before 1905 in the eastern USA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_chestnut
wabbit
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CoolChick » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:17 am

Bringing Back the Lost American Chestnut Tree
Genetic engineering to the rescue. One gene from wheat provides the ability to breakdown a substance key to resisting the offending fungus.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:26 am

Benchling for Plant Biotech
Interesting tool to help those experimenting with plant genetics!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to General Environment and Nature