Plastic Bag Ban

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Plastic Bag Ban

Postby wildrose » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:30 am

Plastic Bag Ban :mad2:
Why don't we get to vote on these issues? Why do we allow our so-called representatives to make these decisions. Any representative who voted for the plastic bag ban will never receive a vote from me in any future election. I'm really sick and tired of the PC patrol creating unnecessary restrictions like this. This isn't a democracy or a republic anymore. It's a prison!
Extinguish your filtered cigarettes, ditch the plastic bags to carry your groceries, toss your micro-beaded facial scrub and cancel those plans to catch an orca show at SeaWorld. Each of those things would be prohibited under a package of bills circulating in Sacramento. Seeking to address such issues as pollution, animal cruelty and tobacco use, lawmakers have advanced measures to ban or limit the availability of various consumer products and activities.

LINK: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/03/30/6280818/ban-it-from-bags-to-butts-california.html
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Plastic Bag Ban

Postby shadylady » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:46 am

wildrose: I totally agree. Why should we have to tote around reusable bags everywhere we go? How are we supposed to know how many bags we're going to need? Are we going to have to purchase new bags every time we forget to bring our reusable bags with us? This is such an incredibly unnecessary and ridiculous inconvenience that I'm outraged enough to sign a petition for the recall of any representative who voted in favor of this legislation!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:14 am

Agreed. I return my plastic bags to be recycled. I don't mind doing that, but being forced to carry around reusable bags is not something I'm in favor of. I'm likely to forget them and then become indignant when I'm forced to purchase new bags at the checkout stand. I'm sick and tired of lawmakers forcing us to do what they think is right. Something like this should be put up for a vote. Put a moratorium on bag bans until the people have had a chance to vote on the issue. Anything else is an assault on freedom and democracy.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:58 am

Pros and Cons :prof:
Here are a couple sites with opposing points of view regarding this issue:

AboutTheBag.com :angel:
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has adopted an ordinance banning single use plastic carryout bags at stores in the County unincorporated areas, while requiring they charge 10¢ for each paper carryout bag sold to a customer. The 10-cent charge on paper bags is not subject to State sales tax and will be retained by stores for use in complying with the ordinance.

LINK: http://dpw.lacounty.gov/epd/aboutthebag/

BagtheBan.com :diablo:
Plastic bags are the most environmentally friendly option at checkout. In fact, alternatives like reusable and paper bags increase global warming and use more resources. The rate of plastic bag recycling is increasing each year thanks to the 30,000 employees in the plastic bag manufacturing and recycling industry and thousands of recycling drop-off locations across the country.

LINK: http://www.bagtheban.com/learn-the-facts

Personally I prefer the convenience of plastic bags and I believe that any and all problems associated with plastic bags can be dealt with using logic and reason and that the emotional knee-jerk reaction of imposing a ban is totally unreasonable and completely unnecessary.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:37 am

I can't think of anyone I know who supports a ban on plastic bags. This is the sort of thing that people should be allowed to vote on. We shouldn't have people influenced by environmental extremists making the decision. I'm tired of politicians micro-managing every aspect of our lives!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrfish » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:59 am

I've already purchased a few reusable bags and I take them with me whenever I go shopping. Sometimes I forget them and leave them in the car in which case I just use whatever the the store has. I'm not in favor of the bag ban, but it seems like it's inevitable even if most people are against it. Funny how we allow the powers that be run our lives.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Sat May 03, 2014 6:45 am

What Do Residents Know About The Los Angeles Plastic Bag Ban?
Who exactly is even in favor of this plastic bag ban anyways? I mean, other than the idiots who make the laws banning them, who is in support of the law? It's like they're doing the exact opposite of the will of the people. How can this happen in a democracy?
:smack:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby desertrat » Sun May 04, 2014 7:48 am

Chicago Approves Ban On Plastic Shopping Bags
This plastic bag ban nonsense is spreading across the country like some kind of plague of stupidity. One halfwit infects another until the halfwits in charge decide to ban the bag.
:smack:
The new ordinance will first go into effect in August 2015, when retailers occupying stores that are more than 10,000 square foot will no longer be allowed to offer plastic bags. The ban will be extended to smaller chain stores and franchises in August 2016, while small independent or non-franchise stores and restaurants will not be affected by the legislation.

And let's not forget the fine of from $300 to $500 for violating the sacred ordinance!
LINK: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/30/chicago-bans-plastic-bags_n_5241854.html
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue May 06, 2014 7:16 am

I'm not in support of the plastic bag ban either and I don't know anyone who is in favor of it. There's something strange happening here and it ain't exactly clear, but when I can't find anyone in favor of the bag ban, but bag bans are being put in effect everywhere around the country, then something is definitely wrong!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Tue May 06, 2014 1:19 pm

cactuspete wrote:I'm not in support of the plastic bag ban either and I don't know anyone who is in favor of it. There's something strange happening here and it ain't exactly clear, but when I can't find anyone in favor of the bag ban, but bag bans are being put in effect everywhere around the country, then something is definitely wrong!

Is anyone here reputing or doesn't that plastic in the environment is a serious problem? Especially in the oceans. I'm for the ban in large coastal cities but surely not the state level. If people gave a fuck and made sure that their trash didn't enter the environment then they would have groups trying to nanny them.

James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Next

Return to General Environment and Nature