California Drought

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

California Drought

Postby mrfish » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:45 am

Could California only have one year of water left? :eek2:
Doom and gloom. The world's coming to an end. There's no hope!
:roll2:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: California Drought

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:17 am

mrfish: I think the situation is serious, but one year of water left might be an exaggeration! Then again the scientist guy did say that was only if we got way less than normal rainfall for the rest of the year. That would be the equivalent of four years of drought in a row. With the pumping of ground water to make up for it all, we could be in trouble. So, the prudent thing to do is to conserve. It's that simple.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:34 am

Most places in California already have some kind of water rationing program in effect. Also people are being encouraged to get rid of their lawns and to go with desert plants. It's possible that more drastic measures may be necessary, but most likely we'll ride this one out. We always have before.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BoraxBill » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:10 pm

Calif. Water Officials To Vote On New Conservation Measures :cool2:
Tougher rules and higher prices might help, but we'll just have wait and see how things go...
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby recluse » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:19 pm

New legislation addresses California's ongoing drought
Looks like FOUR YEARS of drought in a row! :eek2:
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:41 am

I read that the Sierra snowpack is probably going to be the smallest its been for more than one hundred years. It's at twelve percent of average at this time. That could mean lots of trouble this summer as the demand for water goes up. Whether or not this has anything to do with global climate change is hard to say, but it's an immediate problem that we're going to have to deal with one way or the other!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby dingleberry » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:49 am

This weather is perplexing. How is it that we're having the best wildflower bloom since the drought began, but the Sierra snowpack is the lowest it's been in 100 years? That seems like a really odd weather pattern. That said, I'm still not buying the global warming climate change BS that people keep talking about. It's just a fluke!
dingleberry
Greenhorn

Postby BoraxBill » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:46 am

Four years of drought is a big problem. I hear there's talk of raising water rates thoughout most of the state. Hopefully they don't raise the rates any higher here in Trona. We already pay way too much for water as it is. People in Los Angeles should be paying twice as much as we pay here. They steal water from the Owens Valley based on bogus water rights acquired before there were any environmental impact reports required.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby tronagirl » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:43 am

California's $1B Drought Relief Bill Not Enough?
Something needs to be done, but somehow I get the feeling that the state isn't doing a good job of dealing with this problem.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:42 am

Gubernatorial Water Restrictions Mean Big Changes For Californians :cool2:
Do you have a climate appropriate landscape? Heck, do you even have any kind of landscaping? Half the houses I've seen around Trona hardly even have any plants. I'd say that Trona is ahead of the curve on this one!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to General Environment and Nature