California Drought

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: California Drought

Postby dilbert » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:33 am

If the melting snow later this spring winds up causing monumental floods and a large area of the state (probably near the state capital) is declared a disaster area because of flooding, then it would seem oddly inconsistent to continue to insist that we are in a drought. Then again, California is a large state and the southern half of the state could legitimately still be considered to be in a drought despite ridiculous precipitation up north.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:59 am

[quote="surfsteve"]Sparky. Yes we have a drought but it's being intensified by environmental regulations. I realize all of the effects from the drought are not over and will take years of rain to solve. I was actually referring to Donald Trump's promise to help alleviate the effects due to California insanely dumping half it's fresh water directly out to sea in a feeble attempt to protect a few Delta Smelt over the welfare of millions of human beings.

Got it, I'm on the same page as yourself...................on this one. :bigger:
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby twister » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Officials say more than 40 percent of California out of drought after powerful storms
This is really good news. It seems kind of quick to be out of a drought all of a sudden though.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:18 pm

Woman Kayaks Inside Own House :bubble:
Is this what a drought looks like? I think not. Drought over. End of discussion!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:55 am

Why dam managers released water into Mokelumne River
Yes, this is very much not drought-like behavior! My understanding is that the problem during a drought is NOT ENOUGH WATER. The current problem seems to be TOO MUCH WATER. To my way of thinking that means the drought is over, but what do I know?
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:53 pm

Groundwater recharges are a growing trend
Recharging depleted aquifers? If it works, it might be a really good idea!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:24 am

A report I saw stated that the drought is officially over from an objective perspective, which isn't to say that it is over from a political perspective. Politicians like to use events like droughts to push through pet legislation. It's all about the ego and not about public service, but that's pretty typical of almost all politicians.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Sierra Snowpack At Highest Level Since 1995
Governor Brown will decide whether or not to lift the statewide water conservation mandate in April after all the data is in.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:38 am

ergot wrote:Sierra Snowpack At Highest Level Since 1995
Governor Brown will decide whether or not to lift the statewide water conservation mandate in April after all the data is in.

Isn't that a bit like waiting till the Titanic is at the bottom of the ocean before deciding whether the ship is sinking?

U.N. Official Admits Global Warming Agenda Is Really About Destroying Capitalism
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-0 ... capitalism
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:29 am

I think it's a good idea to wait until April. That way all the info about reservoir levels will be in. As for the ship sinking analogy, I don't think that's the best analogy to use here. It's more like a bottle being filled up with water. You can't declare the bottle full just because water is flowing into it. You have to wait until the water level reaches the top of the bottle before you can say it's full.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature