Trona Bloody Trona

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Trona Bloody Trona

Postby wildrose » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Trona, Bloody Trona: A Revolution in Microcosm
by Paul Henry Abram
This sounds like a really good book. It's written by a person who was directly involved in the labor conflicts that took place here in Searles Valley circa 1970.
"Trona, Bloody Trona" is not a book for the faint of heart; it faithfully details the battles between three Unions and Corporate America with the attitudes, shenanigans, colorful language and excesses of the late `60's and early `70's fleshing out the story. Indeed, while the Union members won trials with the author's help, the war ultimately was won by Corporate America and thus began the dénouement of the labor movement in 20th Century America.

LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Trona-Bloody-Revolution-Microcosm/dp/0615845703
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Trona Bloody Trona

Postby wildrose » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:07 pm

BOOK SIGNING

Paul Henry Abram and Michael Snow will be hosting a book signing event for their books

Trona, Bloody Trona: A Revolution in Microcosm
by Paul Henry Abram
http://paulhenryabram.com/

Zion’s Web: A Zachariah Burton Detective Thriller
by Michael Snow
http://michaelsnowauthor.com/

Saturday, September 7th
12pm to 2pm
Red Rock Books
206 W. Ridgecrest Blvd.
(760) 375-3454

Saturday, September 7th
3pm to 5pm
Trona Library
82805 Mt. View St.
(760) 372-5847

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Red-Rock-Books/194179374479
Thumbnail Image
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:03 pm

I wonder if there is going to be a copy left in the Library after the signing to check out.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:36 am

surfsteve wrote:I wonder if there is going to be a copy left in the Library after the signing to check out.

The price for the book (Trona Bloody Trona) at Amazon is only $11.45 and so he'll probably sell the book for $10 (total including tax) here. Usually they have a big box of books that they get printed up way below cost. Not sure about the other book (Zion's Web or whatever it's called). That one sounds like a crappy book to me!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 am

CactusHugger wrote:
surfsteve wrote:I wonder if there is going to be a copy left in the Library after the signing to check out.

The price for the book (Trona Bloody Trona) at Amazon is only $11.45 and so he'll probably sell the book for $10 (total including tax) here. Usually they have a big box of books that they get printed up way below cost. Not sure about the other book (Zion's Web or whatever it's called). That one sounds like a crappy book to me!

Crappy book? The Zion's Web book doesn't sound very interesting to me either, but that doesn't make it crappy! I'd rather read a non-fictional account of labor relations too, but that's just my preference. Others might be intrigued by the other book and that's just fine as far as I'm concerned!
:sun:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:19 pm

wildrose wrote:Trona, Bloody Trona: A Revolution in Microcosm
by Paul Henry Abram
This sounds like a really good book. It's written by a person who was directly involved in the labor conflicts that took place here in Searles Valley circa 1970.
"Trona, Bloody Trona" is not a book for the faint of heart; it faithfully details the battles between three Unions and Corporate America with the attitudes, shenanigans, colorful language and excesses of the late `60's and early `70's fleshing out the story. Indeed, while the Union members won trials with the author's help, the war ultimately was won by Corporate America and thus began the dénouement of the labor movement in 20th Century America.

LINK: http://www.amazon.com/Trona-Bloody-Revolution-Microcosm/dp/0615845703

Sounds like a song by the rock band U2, only maybe a little bit hotter and drier!
:cactus:
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:44 pm

The book signing took place at the museum and not the library as advertised on some of the flyers. There were probably about a total of twenty-five people who attended the event. One of the authors actually sold out of books and had to take names so he could send signed copies of his book to those who still wanted one. Both authors were interesting to talk to. I wound up purchasing a copy of both books.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:26 am

I was able to pick up a copy of both books in RC. The book signing there was well-attended. I would have to say that more copies of the "Trona, Bloody Trona" book were purchased, but both authors were pretty busy throughout the book signing!
:sun:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:17 am

MojaveMike wrote:Sounds like a song by the rock band U2, only maybe a little bit hotter and drier!
:cactus:

True! However hopefully this book provides a solid historical account of events and avoids the excessive histrionics of that annoying rock band!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 am

Finally got my copy of this book and I've actually read the first chapter. It's a pretty interesting read so far! The scene with the rednecks in the bar was pretty funny. I think the author might be stretching the truth a little here and there, but I suppose that's what you gotta do to make a true story entertaining. Otherwise, it's time for a snooze!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Local History