Trona Bloody Trona

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Trona Bloody Trona

Postby wildrose » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:23 am

I'm really enjoying this book and I'm making slow but steady progress through it! There's lots of good details about what actually happened here in Trona and there's also lots of good information about the labor movement. I've learned a lot from this book. I agree with the sentiment that human rights should be regarded as more sacred than property rights. I also like the phrase that someone shouted that goes like this. Yea though I walk through the Valley of Searles, I will fear no corporation, for the whole damn valley is unionized. Too bad that isn't still true!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:46 am

wildrose: I'm making slow and steady progress too! I squeeze in a chapter every day or two. This guy who wrote the book was quite a character. For a lawyer he was really crazy. Ramming his car into the front gate of the company and helping to sabotage powerlines. That's not exactly the kind of thing most lawyers do and that makes this guy superior to most lawyers in my opinion!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:53 am

I've been reading this book too and I'm about half way through it. I've enjoyed what I've read so far and I've talked to several people about the book and the events depicted therein. I did a little web surfing and came across the following page on which someone going by Charlotte Reeves Biggs says:
This evening I finished reading “Trona, Bloody Trona” and although some of the events are true, Paul Abram’s recollection is much different from mine. In fact, so different that I felt like I was wading in 2 feet of BS when reading about some of the events.

She goes on to mention several events that she was involved in which he didn't mention in the book. She seems to feel that he should have made her the star of the book or something! For instance she says:
Of course, he didn’t mention that Karen Mackey poured hot coffee down my back when I crossed the picket line to go home and have lunch with my children. Nor did he mention the attack on the female employees who were leaving work one evening. I saw one of my co-workers get her blouse ripped off and I was shoved, but I fought back. Diana Hall had no idea that I was capable of placing her in a headlock (which I did), nor did she anticipate that I would bite her.

What I notice about the book is that it provides an excellent overview of the events that transpired in 1970. Obviously it doesn't list every possible petty detail and event which occurred and so although Ms. Biggs may recall some things not mentioned in the book, from what I can tell none of those events were terribly significance and probably they weren't actually worth mentioning (assuming that they actually even happened at all).

The author patiently replies by asking Ms. Biggs for more detail:
Dear Ms. Biggs – I will try one last time – could you please be specific as to what parts of my book are BS so that I may address your concerns. Trust me, with the help of Margaret Brush who provided me with every article ever written about the strike, and my own recollection – remember I was there – the book is as accurate as the passage of time permits. You do me and the memory of those I have written about a great disservice when you state the contents are BS without providing me with specifics so that I may address them. Thank you for taking the time to read my account – now please take a few moments and state exactly what you are calling BS – thanks!

From the sound of things Ms. Biggs has no intention of providing any clarification regarding her claims and simply wanted to complain for no apparent reason other than she apparently is a petty and spiteful person.
http://www.trona-ca.com/trona-bloody-trona/
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:33 pm

It would be impossible to recount a series of events involving hundreds of people that happened over 40 years ago and not have at least a few people feel that the account was at least to some extent inaccurate. I've talked to several people who were here and who are aware of what's in the book and they agree that the book is reasonably accurate, although not exactly in every detail completely as they recall.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:36 am

wildrose and cactuspete: It sounds like this Biggs lady backed the company and has some remorse and guilt as a result. So much so that she has distorted memories of past events which help her to see herself as some kind of victim. Rather than accept the reality of what she did, she has decided to attack the author. Obviously, this is just my opinion, but it's classic psychological defense mechanisms at play here.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:36 am

Finally finished Trona Bloody Trona and I have to say that I'm very glad that I stuck with it. It was important that someone provide an account of what happened way back 40 years ago. Although some people would prefer to forget about the past, those are probably the same people who are likely to repeat past mistakes. It's also important that the BS tactics used by big corporations be exposed and documented. As a society we need to do a better job of holding corporations accountable for their misdeeds.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:34 am

I got this book a week ago and started reading it a couple days ago and so far I like what I'm reading. The legal point of view is interesting. It helps you understand how law enforcement bends the law in favor of big companies because big companies make a lot of money and provide jobs. People in county government kind of cheat for them and as a result individuals and workers in general get screwed!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby hungrybill » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:38 am

This book was a really good read! I finished it last night and found it both entertaining and informative. The author had a great sense of humor and an outstanding sense of adventure. Most importantly the book showed how law enforcement is often in cahoots wth large businesses. Instead of protecting and serving the citizens, they do what the rich and the powerful want them to do, including depriving workers of their basic rights.
hungrybill
Greenhorn

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:03 pm

I really enjoyed this book. It was an interesting book to read and provided a lot of information about life in Searles Valley and how companies treated employees back then. I notice on Amazon.com that the book has 11 ratings. Nine of those are five star ratings and so most people who read the book apparently like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Trona-Bloody-Revolution-Microcosm/dp/1493556371
Here's part of one comment:
I loved the scene where the trial for some of the workers was about to begin and Mr. Tiny Fair, Constable of the Trona Justice Court and Head of Security for Kerr McGee was called to the stand and asked about his job of sending Jury Duty subpoena’s to registered voters. Mr. Fair said that he did not send jury duty notices to everyone, “what I do is I go through each of the names and I only have a subpoena made up and delivered to those persons that I know from experience will be fair.” What a priceless admission in open court!

This is such a brilliant observation to include in the book. Often people equate agreement with their interests with fairness and don't seem to understand the difference. I'm sure Mr. Fair was liked by his friends, but probably others saw him as a despicable character and this quote reveals exactly why they might have felt this way!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby dzrtdwg » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:40 am

shadylady wrote:wildrose and cactuspete: It sounds like this Biggs lady backed the company and has some remorse and guilt as a result. So much so that she has distorted memories of past events which help her to see herself as some kind of victim. Rather than accept the reality of what she did, she has decided to attack the author. Obviously, this is just my opinion, but it's classic psychological defense mechanisms at play here.

People who kiss the ass of the establishment are usually weak-minded assholes who deserve derision! I have no patience for that type of person. They always have an excuse or some kind of stupid explanation for what they did that is completely stupid and then they wonder why people criticize them. This lady may be a victim, but she's a victim of her own stupidity. Of course, this is just my humble opinion and in reality I admit that I don't necessarily know what really happened, however, this has ass-kisser written all over it as far as I'm concerned.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Local History