Trona Centennial Celebration

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Trona Centennial Celebration

Postby mrfish » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:19 am

Searles Root Beer :smokin:
It's a little bit pricey, but I'm sure it's worth every penny!
John Searles Root Beer is now on sale at the Searles Valley Historical Society. It was brewed delicately by the Indian Wells Brewery and is really delicious. Price of the root beer is $2.00 per bottle or $40 for a case of 24 bottles. No shipping is available on this item. It is a great Christmas present and the bottle with John Searle's image, created by Trona artist Fred Hartson, is a great collectible after you enjoy the beverage you can place the bottle in a display case in your home. It will become a fine conversation item for years to come!.

mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Trona Centennial Celebration

Postby surfsteve » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:53 am

Interesting. Put me down for 2 bottles. One to share with friends and 1 to be opened in 100 years or so. I never knew root beer was actually brewed. I guess it's not anymore when it's made by the soda companies.

I found this video showing how one guy makes home made root beer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI3yvNNmgnE

In it he says that sassafras was taken off the market because it is a well known carcinogen but I was reading the comments while the video was playing and someone mentioned that the real reason is because sassafras contains saffron, a precursor used to make MDMA which is apparently true.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby whiskeypete » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:14 am

Two bucks a bottle? You've gotta be kidding. How many ounces are those bottles? There's no way that root beer can be worth that much. There ain't even any alcohol in it! I'm spending my money on something better than boring old root beer!
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildrose » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:18 am

Quite a list of events planned:
Friday, March 28
History Symposium and Book Sales- 9:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. located at 83600 Trona Road, Trona High School Auditorium. Mr. David Olney, Trona Superintendent of Schools will give opening remarks followed by Cristy Eichelberger singing the national anthem. Cost will be $25.00 and will include a variety of lecturers from local historians to authors of recent publications. There will also be authors set up outside the auditorium with their publications for sale and signing. A lunch break will take place at 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. and a dinner break at 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. NAWS China Lake History Display will be available for viewing from 9:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. When a schedule of speakers and times are finalized, it will be posted.
St. Madeleine’s Sophie Barat Catholic Church, 83395 Trona Rd. will begin selling lunches at 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Trona Senior Center, 13187 Jones St. (formerly Market St.) will begin selling dinners at 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
The Trona 4 Square Church, 12315 C St. (Argus) will be hosting a Car and Bike show starting at 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Camping will be available at Valley Wells for a small fee.

Moving onto the weekend:
Saturday, March 29
Trona Community Church, 83100 Magnolia Ave. will begin selling breakfast at 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
BLM wild horse adoption center will be open at 8:00 a.m. and run till 5:00 p.m., located in the area behind The Old Guest House Museum building located at 13193 Main St.
Trona Senior Center, 13187 Jones St., Cookbook and Bake sale will begin at 8:00 a.m. till 3:00 p.m.
The Old Guest House Museum, 13193 Main St. will be open 9:00 a.m. till 5:00 p.m. All Trona Centennial Celebration souvenirs can be purchased here. An information booth will be set up in front of the museum. NAWS China Lake Historical Display will be moved there for viewing.
The Argus Fire Station Museum will be open from 9:00 a.m. till 5:00 p.m.
Trona History House will be open from 9:00 till 5:00 p.m.
Trona Railway Museum will be open 9:00 till 5:00 p.m.
Trona Sheriff Sub-station will be open 2:00 p.m. till 4:00 p.m.

Car and Bike show will continue at the Trona 4 Square Church, 12315 C St. from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Parade will begin at 10:00 a.m.; the parade route will start from behind the high school football field on Telescope St. and run the length of Telescope on to Main St. and ending at the library on Trona Rd.
Vendors for the street fair located around Main St. and at Searles Valley Gem and Mineral building, 13337 Main St. will be opened at 10:00 a.m. till 5:00 p.m.
The music of BillHillyz will be performing outside at the street fair for the day.
Searles Valley Minerals will begin plant tours at 11:00 a.m. and will run at intervals till 4:00 p.m. transportation will be provided by school buses. Location for pick up will be announced shortly.
Mary Dickes will be doing a Historical Homes walking tour during the day. Time and location will be announced later.
Trona Churches will be open to tour from 12:00 p.m. till 5:00 p.m.
Former Tronan’s “Get Together” will be at 3:00 p.m. till 5:00 p.m., located at Trona Elementary School, entrance off of Athol St.
Concert located at the old Trona Theater, 13223 Main St. featuring Keeter Stuart will start at 7:00 p.m. till 10:00 p.m. They are working on a couple of more performers during the day and as soon as that is scheduled we will post the times and cost of the tickets.
Trona Elks Lodge, 82750 Trona Rd.; will be hosting a deep pit barbeque and will sell dinners from 6:00 p.m. till 9:00 p.m.

And there's more:
Sunday, March 30
BLM, Wild horse adoption- 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Trona Senior Center, Cookbook and Bake Sale – 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
SVM Plant tours- 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Vendors - 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
BillHillyz will continue to play through the day at the street fair area
The Old Guest House Museum - 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Argus Fire Station Museum - 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Trona History House - 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:41 am

I don't think I want to pay 25 bucks to attend the history symposium even if it does sound like the most interesting event on the agenda. I'd only want to sit through maybe two or three sessions anyways and 25 bucks is an awful lot to pay for just a few sessions. Almost sounds like they're trying to make the price high enough so that locals can't attend. Not sure why they want to discourage participation like that.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:59 am

HISTORY SYMPOSIUM: You're right panamint_patty, that does seem like a lot to charge and what about those of us who might like to just listen to one or two lectures? Somebody probably ought to rethink the fee being charged. And I agree that the history symposium is probably the most interesting event listed at this time. It's too bad they're chasing people away by over-charging!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:30 am

panamint_patty and wildrose: Why do they need to charge that much? If the school is providing the auditorium then I'm willing to bet that they aren't charging rent. What is the point of charging so much?
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby James Sel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:35 am

Another profiteer highjacks another centennial. :gloom:
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:12 am

According to the water bill announcement there's going to be an effort to clean up Trona before the big event. Hopefully the county will send out some street cleaners that will remove some of the accumulated dirt too.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:34 pm

Trona readies for centennial celebration
The big event is drawing near! Hopefully a lot of people come out to take part in the festivities. I know I'll be checking out what's going on!
March 27, 2014, will mark the 100th anniversary of the Trona Post Office and the official dedication of the town as an official community. To celebrate the occasion, the mining town is going to party March 28 through 30; there will be a parade, music festival, Searles Valley Minerals plant tours, memorabilia for sale and to photograph, mountain man encampments and a symposium on the history of Trona.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20140213/NEWS/140219799
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Local History