Dietary Supplements

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Dietary Supplements

Postby surfsteve » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:09 pm

ergot wrote:Dr. Berg's Vitamin K2: and how to use it
This Dr. Berg guy seems to agree with the info posted by surfsteve.

A good source of vitamin K2 is ghee. Ghee made from grassfed cattle has quite a bit in it. They even sell it at Walmart which is where I buy mine from. Just use it in place of butter. Another good source of vitamin K is Kale though it is in the form of K1 and must be converted by the body into K2. I love kale. Canned is my favorite. I think I'm the only one at Walmart that buys it because when I come back for more sometimes the same number of cans are missing from the last time I was there. Kale is an excellent source of calcium so if you eat your kale in the sunshine you are getting vitamin D, calcium along with vitamin your vitamin K which will tell the calcium where to go. I put it in soups and smoothies but my favorite way to eat it is right out of the can like Popeye used to eat spinach! The stuff they sell at Walmart has a smokey flavor so most of the time I rinse it off and then put it back in the can to eat later. One serving of Kale has around 800% of the recommended requirement of vitamin K.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 pm

ergot wrote:#1 Food That Causes High Blood Pressure
This guy suggests that high fructose corn syrup is the main cause of the rise in cases of high blood pressure. K2 and D3 might help, but it's even more important to lower intake of simple sugars. At least that's what this guy is saying.

I have eaten tons of salt my entire life. I'm 60 years old and the last time I took my blood pressure it was 114 over 72. I keep trying to tell people that salt causing high blood pressure is a myth and based on bad science.

One thing I insist on is eating raw, unprocessed sea salt. It contains all the minerals that sea water does. Processed salt is bad for you. When you think about it, they used to say salt was good for you but then shortly after Morton salt became popular it suddenly became bad for you. It's not the salt that's bad it's the processing. Table salt is heated to 1000's of degrees and all of the essential minerals are taken out. Even processed sea salt is no better. 40 years ago an old woman in a health food store told me the reason nearly all sea salt on the market is processed is because the salt companies make more money selling the minerals they take out of it than they do from selling the salt! For the last few years I been mixing half or 2/3rds unprocessed sea salt with potassium chloride because the recommended allowance of potassium is around 4.7 grams which is nearly impossible to get in your food! I avoid high fructose corn syrup and processed sugar like the plague. I also avoid grains because the body treats them just like sugar. I get all my sugar from raw fruit and eat as much as I want!

I also eat as much cholesterol as I want. The myth that cholesterol is bad for you is also based on bad science. Cholesterol is made by the body, especially in the liver. There is no link between cholesterol consumption and cholesterol levels. The more stress you put your body under the more cholesterol you need. Your body uses cholesterol to repair damaged tissue. The faulty science is similar to counting the number of firemen in a burning building and coming to the conclusion that fireman are the cause of fires because the more firemen present the more fires there are.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:56 pm

For a boost try some nutritional yeast. It's the vitamin that's not a vitamin. It is a favorite for marathon runners but should also be used by bodybuilders in place of fake processed protein powders. It contains all the essential amino acids and is loaded with B vitamins. It is loaded with minerals, especially selenium. I think it is higher in selenium than any other food but don't quote me on that. I sprinkle it over food, especially soups and use as much as I want. I've eliminated nearly all dairy from my diet and it makes everything taste like it has cheese on it. Sometimes I put a layer of yeast flakes on my soup that is a quarter of an inch thick. There is much debate on whether you should use fortified or unfortified nutritional yeast. I use both kinds.

Most people think of fish oils only as a source of omega 3's but they can also be used as a source of vitamins. They complement yeast because they are high in most of the fat soluble vitamins that are not found in it. Most people recommend a 4 to 1 ratio of omega 6 to 3. The average diet ranges between 20 to 1 and 50 to 1. I try and keep mine around 2 to 1. To do this I make sure a quarter of my fat intake comes from fish oil. A few capsules isn't going to do it. You gotta swap out 25% of your fats for fish oil.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Gov agencies look to classify kratom as Schedule 1 drug
Sounds like an interesting plant. Probably not something you'd want to take as a daily supplement, but I didn't know where else to put this post.
PLANT INFO: https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/161298/
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:59 am

Kratom is for losers. It is more dangerous, more addictive and less effective than the opiates it is supposed to replace. Why would anyone take it?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 am

Came across this today:

Federal Agency Kills Kratom
http://sorendreier.com/federal-agency-kills-kratom/

From reading it I get the feeling that kratom is somewhere between being more dangerous than coffee but less than Tylenol. It suggest that it is less addictive than opoids and far less effective too. If caffeine pills were illegal, banning it would be similar to banning coffee. If it is banned than it would become the 2nd natural herb to be banned besides marijuana. Well I suppose I overlooked mushrooms but they are a fungus. Right? Banning it could open the door for other substances like coffee and vitamins to be banned. 20 years ago I would have laughed at the thought of banning vitamins and coffee but not anymore. I still think it's stupid to take kratom but I'm not in favor of it being banned either. If doctors and FDA bureaucrats lived 40 years longer than the rest of us they might be qualified to tell us what we can and can not take but if we were to judge them based upon life span they are no more qualified than the rest of us to be telling us what we can and can not put into our bodies. Imagine not being able to buy coffee at the supermarket without a prescription or being forced to eat what you are told or face your benefits being cut. Eat your vegetables little Johnnie. You don't want to go to jail. Do you? Maybe they will come up with some sort of purple dye they can add to foods that are approved to enforce what we eat and have our feces examined by the poo poo police! Ridiculous?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Amla Powder: Benefits and Uses
This looks interesting. It's supposed to contain all sorts of antioxidants and may be an effective treatment for several common ailments.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 am

Probably better off buying whatever berries are on sale than something dried from a far off land that costs a fortune. Yesterday was the last day Albertson's had cheap blueberries. Strawberries were cheap last week at both stores. Walmart had lemons over the weekend at 4 for a dollar. Wonder if they still have them. I bought 60 of them to slice and dry in my food dehydrator. I use the slices in cooking and powder them in my blender to sprinkle on food, peelings and all. Lots of people pay attention to exotic foods while ignoring what's already in their back yard which is probably just as good. People in India are probably importing magical health foods from America as I write this. I suppose I'm no better. Just placed a huge order with Amazon yesterday for some powdered camu camu berries...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:01 am

Has anyone ever tried bone broth protein powder? How does it taste? Does it make any difference? Are there any downsides to using it other than that it's expensive? In other words, is it worth the money?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:30 pm

I don't know much about bone broth powder except that it's supposed to be good for you and costs twice as much as collagen. Seems like I looked up the difference between bone broth powder and collagen peptides and bone broth powder was made strictly from bones while collagen peptides were made from the skin and the bones. I used to use powdered gelatin but the last year or so switched to collagen peptides which are the same thing only they are cooked longer till they are broken down past the point you can make jello out of them. For a while I had to quit using them in massive quantities because I was having trouble digesting them but then I started taking betaine HCL and my digestion has become like that of a teenager again. Regular gelatin and collagen peptides taste about the same, they have hardly no taste at all. The texture can be quite different. The peptides have the same texture no matter what the temperature but gelatin turns to jello when it cools down. Due to the cost and the fact that they all seem to have the same health recommendations I will just stick with whatever is cheapest and most convenient which seems to be the collagen peptides right now.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets