YouTube Drama

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: YouTube Drama

Postby desertrat » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:00 am

This entire incident could have been completely contrived. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but it could be that the WSJ, YouTube/Google, Disney, and PewDiePie planned this out two or three months ago. All this talk about "new media" being uncontrollable probably is a concern to all large media companies and so the ability to manipulate and predict audience behavior is a big deal. An experiment like this could help the powers that be gather data which could be used to help nip issues in the bud before they become major movements or to perform damage control when an issue arises. In any case, analysis of the data will yield some insights which will help major media companies (particularly Google) to manipulate information flow as they see fit and thus shape the attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors of large populations.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:47 am

desertrat: It has crossed my mind several times that this whole PewDiePie thing could just be choreographed theatrics designed to get all the players some free publicity. It does seem like a big deal is being made over nothing. Ultimately the integrity of the Wall Street Journal is called into question when they stoop to the level of cheap slander in order to gain the attention of an audience. I'll be convinced that this whole thing is real if PewDiePie files a lawsuit and walks away with at least forty million bucks!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrgreen » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:48 pm

Since the WSJ hit piece, about half a million more people have subscribed to PewDiePie. In the meantime, there's no doubt that the WSJ has probably lost that many. (No wait, that's impossible, they don't even have that many subscribers to begin with. Meanwhile, Felix has almost 54 million subscribers.) Looks like their little act of desperation that did not pay off. In one of his recent videos, PewDiePie joked that he had enough money from his YouTube revenues to purchase the WSJ straight out, but that he considered it a bad investment since they're losing subscribers and so he decided not to purchase the failing business!
:laugh:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:29 am

Police Draw Guns On YouTube Star During Possible Internet Prank
This must be some kind of publicity stunt. Even if he was "swatted" it was probably arranged with someone so that he'd have plausible deniability.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:33 am

Jake Paul Gets Called Out For Being A School Bully
Can anyone explain why anyone bothers watching this guy's videos? I find the guy totally witlessly arrogant and completely uninteresting. So, why is he popular?
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:50 am

YouTube strikes down Toy Freak channel for TOS violations
Based on what is said in this video, I conclude that this was an over-reaction and an infringement on the rights of the people who owned the channel that was suspended. There is nothing wrong with skits featuring children with fake spiders crawling on them or simulated vomiting.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:51 am

YouTube star under fire for video of apparent suicide victim
Logan Paul is annoying and I sometimes "hate watch" his channel just for grins and giggles, but all the whining over this incident is just bullshit. Of course any publicity is good publicity and so he'll probably benefit and so all the outrage is just going to help him.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby twister » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:22 pm

YouTube Star Logan Paul Under Fire For Apology Over Suicide Video
As usual, a lot of drama over nothing, but blowing things up out of proportion gives outrage addicts something to get all outraged over. Nothing like a YouTube outrage party!
:roll2:
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrgreen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:06 pm

LOGAN PAUL - Curious to see what effect all this bad publicity has had on his subscriber count, I headed on over to Social Blade:
https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCG8rbF3g2AMX70yOd8vqIZg/realtime
It appears that Logan Paul lost about 1,500 subscribers today. That's after a solid month of gaining 20k to 70k subscribers each day. As I watched the realtime subscriber count he'd gain a few and lose a few, but it was pretty much trending slowly upward. So, it looks like he saw an initial dip which turned into a flat line and now is turning into a slow recovery. Considering that he has a total of over 15 million subscribers, what happened today will probably only be a temporary setback.

Before the bad news hit he had 15,276,058 subscribers. He hit a low of 15,269,307 several hours ago and currently he is inching back to 15,275,000.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrfish » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 am

Logan Paul Finds Dead Body! OMG!
It's not often that the point of view of people who are not insane gets expressed on YouTube, but here's a dose of fresh air:
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Recreation and Entertainment